Hey Shorts, very nice work !!!! I like your IWB and CSO holsters. By the way I'm gonna beat you back to the States, I'm leaving the Philippines in Oct. now. Anyway your holsters are really coming along you're doing a GREAT job. I'll bet you will have many happy customers.

Best,

Rhome

Those look great! How did you do that marble effect on the brown holsters?

ArtS

Thank Rhome. October huh? Well...I must say, I'm jealous ;) We have to go through some of the crazy of winter and PCS in the middle of it, much like we did when we came here. For the CSO, that holster is extremely comfortable. The HRP is the pancake design. That one is my classic. There's an ExC up there which is an extreme cant and it was off the first pattern I ever made. The IWB I like - very comfortable. But as most IWBs with no mouth support, it closes a bit if you unholster while wearing. I'm still debating my options. There a few things I could 'easily' do, but I have my reservations for a number of reasons. I do need to get my tuckable IWB drawn up, I have the clips just sitting there begging to get in the game. My unpictured is my Askin's Avenger style holster, I like that one but I haven't spent any more time on it. It's also the base for a crossdraw I've also not tended to like I should :o

Thanks Art - I can't take too much credit for the marbling. It's one of the characteristics of using EcoFlo dyes with a dauber. It has a beautiful effect for for browns. If I want it darker, I apply more. If I want a lighter color, just a couple lights coats. For a solid color, I use the airbrush. Especially on blacks. The black formula gets the leather very wet for the amount of color transfer. So, I do a ton of light coats instead, with a sweep of the hair dryer in between each to keep the leather dry. Airbrush uses less black dye vs dauber. Oh, it does go through the green prism in the early layers which had me worried the first time I saw it.

Great looking stuff there Shorts, really professional.

I read that you get the marbling fro mthe EcoFlo dyes. Good thing here, it is beautiful but can it be applied so that you get a clean brown tone without airbrushing?

Great looking stuff there Shorts, really professional.

I read that you get the marbling fro mthe EcoFlo dyes. Good thing here, it is beautiful but can it be applied so that you get a clean brown tone without airbrushing?

Thank you :)

To get a solid tone without airbrushing you'll need to completely saturate the leather evenly. I have not tried dip dyeing yet (probably a swatch would do). But for a dauber, you'll need to apply heavy coats until its very dark. It is difficult to apply a smooth tone w/o airbrush. I've read here in the forum a tip that dampening the leather when applying the finish will help as the water in the leather allows a smooth medium to disperse the dye. But I don't think it would be completely fool proof.

When you apply the browns with an airbrush you do get a smooth finish. The tones of the airbrushed browns will change a bit compared to the tones found in the marbling. So it's a good idea to experiment on scrap. For example, the marbling you can see in the brown that looks like burl when swabbed will look like hot chocolate when airbrushed. Of course, with airbrushing, you can also control the shade by applying as little or as much as suits your preference.

I think the EcoFlo dyes are very versatile in that regard. Of course, where they are not is in them being water soluble. If you're doing projects that are in and out of moisture, or need wet molding, you'll have to plan accordingly.

One of the things I have not tried much but am tempted with is dying a two tone color or trim. I think something like that would work better in a set, with a belt and mag pouches to go along with a holster. I guess in a way it'd be like faux exotics :)

Edit:

I should remind that the difference in leathers will come through on these dyes. Its important if you're making a matched set to do the project together to use the same leather and dyes. I know most are aware that different leather can have a variety of results from the same bottle of dye. So, keep consistency in mind.

Edited by Shorts

Shorts

Your holsters are looking real good. I too like the brown marbeled effect. I havent been real happy with the results using Fieblings brown. I get a splotchy rather then that nice marbeled look. I've been either leaving my holsters natural with Fieblings Tan-Kote or dyeing them black.

What type of sprayer are you using to apply your dyes? I may have to try spraying on my dyes.

Randy

Randy,

I use just the $5 special from Harbor Freight for the airbrush. I'll be upgrading that soon with a nice little Badger or Paasche. The marbled brown is the color I get most requests for. Of course, black is a close second.

To do the side of the holsters, I'm liberal with the dye on the dauber. I especially like to be certain I get the crevices and nooks. I'm actually considering an eye dropper or long baster so I can apply the dye directly to the inside edges where the stitch lines are for good saturation. But so far, the dauber works.

In my perfect world, I'd be dip dying everything for ease of process. But I don't mind hand finishing these for the marbled affect. I've already gone that for by hand :)

This leftie below is the only one I have sprayed brown. It came out really smooth. The color here is actually lighter than what it truly is. But you can see how even the application is. And the different between it and the daubered browns.

Edited by Shorts

Beautiful work......are you happy with the makers stamp? Looks real nice from here.

Thank you! Daryl, the stamp is doing excellent. Its been worked in as a regular tool I can't do without.

Dang, Shorts!

You've been busy! Those look good!

Your designs are coming right along and very good quality. I can't wait to see what you do next.

:blush: Thanks guys

I'm really looking forward to getting to the States and getting a machine. I have a lot of ideas but it just takes a while to get them out (if I even do) since I hand stitch. It'd be great to think it up and go sew it quick to test it. Of course, I might start running myself through thread and leather pretty quick if I have that kind of stitching ability :rofl: