stef73433

Crisp, Clean Corners

How do I cut nice clean, square corners when I am cutting inlay shapes?I can get a good corner, so my diamonds turn out like ovals? Not sure how to add a photo on here?

When you want to post photos start your topic post or reply post. Scroll down and you should see (attach a photo) or attachments. If it's not there click (more reply options) right next to the post button and it should pop up.

Example, this ear piece should have diamond shape inlays

I was on mobile version, when I switch to full version,I can add photos! Thanks so much for that

post-36557-0-14047100-1359331781_thumb.j

I have had real good luck with some of my home made punches, tools, etc.

You can easily make one just for that job, . . . or similar ones.

I start with a piece of galvanized EMT tubing (electrometallic tubing, . . . or conduit as it is called in the electrical trade), . . . comes in 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1 1/4, 1 1/2, 2 inch.

I sharpen the outside of it by holding it up against a disc sander, . . . then cut, bend, form, . . . whatever necessary to get the shape I need.

They sharpen fairly easily with a file & sandpaper, . . . putting a piece of scrap leather under the piece I'm punching helps safeguard the cutting edge, . . . and while you may not be able to make it a "perfect" shape, . . . at least it will always be the same imperfection, . . . and you can "fix" it from there.

I use a piece of steel, . . . a pair of pliers, . . . end of an anvil, . . . first one thing then another to get the shape the way I want it.

One of my favorite successes is in the upper left corner, . . . it makes an oval, but doesn't cut it completely out. I make two parallel cuts from the opening of the oval, . . . about 6 inches long, . . . it puts a tail on the oval, . . . makes a gorgeous hammer thong for Western holsters.

Another one in there is only 1/4 of a circle, . . . makes the slickest rounded corners around (no pun intended), . . . and in the total, . . . I've probably got a $2 cash investment.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-49687200-1359333797_thumb.jp

Edited by Dwight

You can also use woodworking chisels and gouges for cutting leather. A lot of tools used in other crafts can be used. Hope this helps.

David