nmlvaio101

Show Off Your Bench, Organization, Workshop, And Such...

Can I ask why to raise them off the floor?

moisture, plain and simple. Water evaporates up and anything in it's path will absorb that moisture. Anything directly on the ground will pull in the moisture emanating from your concrete. The more space you have between the cases and the floor, the better - especially if you have an air pocket in there to let the moisture in the air flow out like a vent. Where did you get the bins big enough to hold a side? I usually keep mine in the boxes they come in, but I may be interested in a different solution if I get some more shelving.

can i ask a question please, do you have to make any safe guards against the dreaded mice, or do they even go for leather? sorry if this a dumb question but i don't know... :dunno:

can i ask a question please, do you have to make any safe guards against the dreaded mice, or do they even go for leather?

If you have mice - DEFINITELY BE CONCERNED. They will go for it in a heartbeat. Get your leather high up, put traps everywhere, do what you have to.

If you don't have mice, pay attention to any signs that they may show up and still be concerned.

thanks, fortunately i don't don't suffer any more, had them moved into one of my campervans once, little darlings ate my wiring and blew up my lights :ranting2: took me ages to get them to move out, bought farmer strength persuader but they just kept eating it, was half expecting to find a note from them asking where my supplier was.... :rofl: ... anyway same as most looking for some where to play properly, was thinking about garden shed, but definitely not now as i know they hang out down there in big gangs :bawling: ...scary......

Unfortunately I have those little Jerry's in the house. I just noticed one for the first time in over 2 years.

I will be sure to get the stuff high off the floor.

I have 3 bins I used when I was in the military to stow away my gear. They may have got "lost" when I came back stateside lol

I never had any mice problems since we moved into our house. Then I had a friend move in for a while to get him on his feet and all of a sudden they started popping up (he wasn't the cleanest of people). I went on a killing spree at the first sound of nibbling in the walls. Now they appear to be gone thankfully. I'm not scared of them at all, but I HATE them with a passion after growing up in a house so badly infested it was deemed unfit to live in.

We are very clean people and a little OCD about the house so my wife is freaking out about the one we seen. The basement has a walkout door that leads to the back yard and from there to a big field.

I have traps in every corner of the house that my dogs cannot get too. Have had them out for 3 days now and only caught one so far. When the snow gets down a litte I need to go outside and see what I need to fill up around my house.

I tend to move every year or two, in the 5 years I've been working with leather I've had as many shops. Just keep things small and portable, use as few tools as possible.

2010-11 bedroom shop:

4707250721_8df64900bc_z.jpg

2012 dining room shop:

8511872532_3ee86e0fdd_z.jpg

2012-13 dedicated shop (with my assistant). Rented a space to figure out if I really needed one.

8510761217_3e38044269_z.jpg

8511872674_7281848db8_z.jpg

Summer 2013-? shop. Found out I don't need a dedicated workspace, redesigned production methods to really only need a handful of tools and a few sq. feet of space, desired to work on the beach. It's been about 6 months of work so far, should be finished in June :)

7834952684_2f0e088cd0_z.jpg

My first ever motorcycle seat had that skull and flowers design on it that's hanging from your bench.

Awesome! Im not sure where the picture came from. I used it for a small wood burning project i was working on.

post-38328-0-64501800-1361925214_thumb.j

What started as a couple of photos to post on here turned into a fully-fledged blog post. Thus, I post you the link with a photo tour of my workshop: http://salukifeathers.com/271/a-look-into-the-workshop/

I don't have as many toys as most of you, but I love being in my little leathercraft sanctuary.

Awesome shop. How much did that desk cost you? I would love to have something like that made, even without the finish :)

oh yeah, if you ever want hands free burnishing, I use the dremel drill press and mount my dremel horizontally so I can have both hands on a strap to move it through. Just a thought since I saw your hangar there, which is included in the press.

Edited by Cyberthrasher

What started as a couple of photos to post on here turned into a fully-fledged blog post. Thus, I post you the link with a photo tour of my workshop: http://salukifeathers.com/271/a-look-into-the-workshop/

I don't have as many toys as most of you, but I love being in my little leathercraft sanctuary.

Love your space! Thanks for sharing.

This is one of my favorite threads.....just love seeing other peoples work spaces

oops.

Edited by groovytech

Have a few things....need a few things more.

IMG_20130421_120008_882_zps90218ff8.jpg

Pattern making/cutting and 2 station sewing area.

IMG_20130421_120023_482_zpsca51d150.jpg

sanding / burnishing / strip cutting area (background is my homemade form press)

IMG_20130421_120107_674_zps7ee1cc78.jpg

stamping area

IMG_20130421_120055_067_zps4b6c2e2e.jpg

Dyeing and finish area

IMG_20130421_120125_550_zps6c7a1b9b.jpg

drying (my easy bake oven---see next photo)

IMG_20130421_120150_928_zps4adff42e.jpg

Wife's getting a little perturbed since this was supposed to be "our" finished basement. At least one of us got our wish.

By the way, couch sleeps pretty good.

Who's got a workshop but no wife?

A leatherworker,lol ;) don't take it serious

You have a very nice working area with much of room. I would love to have tha much room.

I added some things . Used clear tubing to put 3D stamps on. add a holder to the storage rack and hangers for the malletspost-13948-0-91821300-1366652238_thumb.jpost-13948-0-37691600-1366652250_thumb.j Joe St

bump