Harley Rider

Tech Sew 3650Hd Anyone Have This Machine?

I am just getting started in the leather BIZ. Will concentrate mostly in the holster making , knife sheathes , harness, horse blanket & tack repairs. May do an occassion leather bag / wallet and I will be posting in them forums shortly.

I haven't seen this machine reviewed , read plenty good things about the 441 clones - (CowBoy ,Cobra)

Appears that the 441 clones are the same machines? Anyways the Tech 3650 HD seems like it would handle everything I want to do and it fits my budget.

I realize that the 3650 can not do what the 441 clones can, but it might be ok for a start up machine. I ruled out the Tippmann Boss machines as for just a little more cabbage, I can get electric powered equipment.

So who uses this machine & how does it perform? What do you like / dislike

Much Obliged

Sonny

I am no expert. But here goes my thoughts

You realize the maximum thickness capability is 7/16"? For about the same money you can get a used 441 clone and increase your sewing capability.

Other than that is seems like a reasonable machine. I am sure Wiz and Trox will chime in soon with other recommendations,

Glad to see you posted this question as I am looking at purchasing the same machine. Looks like just under 1600$ shipped which is already a little over what I can afford, so I hope to see some good responses about it. I am however slightly concerned about the minimum needle size being #23, even though the specs say it can run #69 thread. Everything I do would be under the 7/16 thickness and , and i only use the small thread for attaching velcro.

Glad to see you posted this question as I am looking at purchasing the same machine. Looks like just under 1600$ shipped which is already a little over what I can afford, so I hope to see some good responses about it. I am however slightly concerned about the minimum needle size being #23, even though the specs say it can run #69 thread. Everything I do would be under the 7/16 thickness and , and i only use the small thread for attaching velcro.

This is the wrong machine for Velcro, with #69 thread, and under 7/16 inch. You will be better off with the Techsew model 2700 or Cowboy 227R, which have triple (compound) feed, easily tensions lighter to mid-weight thread (46 to 138) and sews into 3/8 inch.

The 3650 is not a light weight sewing machine. It is designed for medium-heavy tack work, with heavy thread, which can be bottom fed without concern for the tooth marks.

If I lived in Daton I would drive 2 hours to Toledo, Take some of my work and see what Bob has to offer. He must have 40 or so machines set up. You can find what will work best for you and save the shipping.

Does anyone know when the next big equipment show is scheduled for anywhere close to Ohio? I almost believe that I'm going to have to physically try these machines out before I decide to buy one, and who knows perhaps get a deal in the process. Just to many things to check out and hands on would be great , while picking the brains of the experts. I might find that I like the Tippmann Boss air machine or that there's a brand new machine out that can do it all

We have about 60 machines on our showroom floor & your more than welcome to come over & try any of them out.Bring your leather you want to sew & we have the thread here that you can use.

Bob

thanks everyone for the info, I do appreciate it! and cowboy Bob, we will be in touch!

It appears that the 3650 HD has feed dogs to move the material, against a fixed, or roller pressor foot, this action causes visible tooth marks to the bottom of your sewing item. So after sewing extra work is involved in removing these marks, rubbing , hammering etc.

Is there a way to modify this machine to prevent that, or does one have to spend another 1K to get a smooth dog triple feed machine. So can this 3650HD be modified ? HAs anyone done this ?

These machines are bottom fed, period. If you do anything to the feed dogs you might cause them to gouge the bottom, rather than move it for sewing. Sharp teeth ensure positive feed. These machines are meant for sewing items where the bottom is not normally seen, or which are not markable.

These machines are bottom fed, period. If you do anything to the feed dogs you might cause them to gouge the bottom, rather than move it for sewing. Sharp teeth ensure positive feed. These machines are meant for sewing items where the bottom is not normally seen, or which are not markable.

This sums it up. People who purchase the 3650HD use it for products where the bottom is not typically seen - recent customers have been using it for tool belts, knife sheaths, harnesses etc..

If the marking concerns you, I recommend the Techsew 4100 or 5100 which are walking foot machines that will leave a perfect finish on your products.

We can ship to any address in the US, business or residence. You can also send us samples by mail and we'll test the machine for you on your leather.

Ron

Some good information about the 3650HD and I'm glad I found out about the marking issue before I bought it. Doesn't sound like this is the machine for making holsters , belts , and fancy knife sheaths with. And I can't justify spending $2,500 right now for a 441 , 4500 ,or a 4100 , but I'd sure wouldn't of been happy if I had gotten the 3650 HD and found it left marks on the leather.