Sign in to follow this  
SooperJake

Wrinkled Flapjake...er Pancake...

I am wondering if there is a way to lower or prevent excessive wrinkling on the compression side of a pancake holster around the belt slots. This holster is 7oz dyed with pro oil Fiebing's black. Glued and sewn flat, then molded. I conditioned it ( Bick 4) after molding and drying, then put some tan kote on for a quick finish.

If gluing it on a curve would reduce the wrinkles, would I then want to use the elevated holster-type foot on the Cowboy to stitch? Right now I have the standard plate and the table attached, but the table is higher than the foot by a little. The table cannot be mounted any lower without modification, as it is bottomed out on the casting of the arm.

Holster picture tells all.

post-32287-0-13610700-1361028261_thumb.j

post-32287-0-94916000-1361028673_thumb.j

Are you dampening the wings during molding?

I would guess that the wrinkles are coming from the leather compressing when it bends in for the curve of the belt. The front side stretches, the back side compresses. Does it always happen? Or have you just noticed with the leather you are using now? Maybe it's the nature of that side or shoulder?

The only help I've got is to ask if you can mold less on the back side to lessen the amount of flex in the holster? The more mold you have on the back, the more flex you introduce. I would think flex would introduce the wrinkles.

Looks like low quality leather, do you use belly or near belly parts....well taned veg tan leather should not behave like this...wet forming can take extrem shapes and forms without wrinkles...

Try different leather...

james