Leatherpownder

Rawhide Bosalitas.

Good looking work - again.

I really like the looks of that dark rawhide with the bevelled edges. It really adds a lot of contrast to the piece, and makes the braiding pop out at you. Very nice work! I'm no braider myself, but the work you guys do amazes the heck out of me. Thanks for sharing :)

Looks great, as usual. Thanks for sharing.

Hi

Beautiful as always.

Is the darked rawhide died or narurally that colour add a really nice contrast

Johanne

Natural color. I have one more 1/2" bosal body left and that hide is gone.

I might as well shoot the moon. If that 1/2" body isn't spoken for, it is now.

You have some of the straightest braids that I have ever seen!

I like the first one with the slot for a hold up string. You don't see those very often.

At least I am guessing it's for a holdup string.

Very nice work!

Joel

That style of bosalito is a center tie where a leather piece is used to tie the bosalito to the forelock of the horse to hold in place.

Thanks all for the nice comments.

so do you make your own rawhide or get it ready to go?

if you make your own can I ask do you lime the hides or scrape the hair off. I keep seein quite a lot of interesting hide colours like your dark one above and I wondered if the colour was in the top part of the skin whi ch got removed when limed as I have never gotten rawhide any other colour than the yallowish white. I am getting some new hides shortly and wanted to preserve thei colour if possible.

thankd

Johanne

I stretch and flesh the hide then scrape it dry with a hardwood stick and ashes. I posted that method here previously. Th color is the natural color of the hide.

Thank you I did read your post (sorry got a bit muddled between who posted it) I was wondering if by using lime I was removing the colour/pigment of the animal. If the skin colour was stored in the upper layer with the hair cells than it makes sense why I keep getting yellowish coloured rawhide.

All rawhide that I can purchase here, (Australia) which is made commercially is also that creamy colour, without bleaching, and I am trying to work out if using lime to remove the hair is also removing the natural pigment.

I hope I am making sense. I am in awe of your braiding and very grateful for your instructional postsit is very much appreciated when someone with expertise is willing to share. Thank you

Johanne

Lime does seem to change the color. I think that any chemical does change the hide, not only the color but the feel.

Just amazing!

Where do you get your tools (flat awl)?