I was trying to make the smallest holster I could without compromising safety and retention. This is what I came up with. Works well as IWB, but OWB not so great (maybe a "range only" set up). It was based on my Sigma .40, but would most likely fit other 4 in. semi's pretty well. Your thoughts and comments are encouraged.

Thanks.

post-37480-0-61213000-1363367984_thumb.j

post-37480-0-53696400-1363367988_thumb.j

Probably give you better feed back if we could see a picture with gun in holster.

Looks interesting, but I wonder if those unsupported corners at the opening could manage to get pressed inward, resulting in an accidental discharge. Personally, I'd consider adding a steel insert to make those corners less likely to bend inward, or I'd extend the stitch line along the bottom of the trigger guard all the way up to the opening. If your intent is to make more of a universal holster, perhaps the steel insert is your best bet...?

I don't like the idea of a "one-size-fits-most" approach concerning holsters. That very concept, practiced by a major manufacturer, is what got me into making holsters in the first place.

Being able to reholster your weapon one handed without looking is a good thing. Your IWB should be rigid enough to allow this.

You did a very nice job on making the holster, the color is consistent and the stitching looks well done. However....the holster was designed/built "without compromising safety and retention", but I have to say I see little of either. The molding is not tight enough in just the hoslter, and there's no strapping to back it up....I strongly recommend this be only for the range until you have the time to test it for proper safety aspects.

Thanks for all the input. I will post pics of the holster with the gun in it later (I'm out of town). Please know that safety is always a major consideration for me. I looked at the design and made sure that no accidental discharges were possible. The mouth stays open all on its own without a steel strap. Also, the stitching was done tight enough that even without molding the holster retains the weapon tightly. I understand the concerns and thank you for your input.

Again, thanks for all the input, I have spent a bit of time thinking on this topic. As far as the one size fits most, that is a jump off point for a pattern so that I can mold to other similarly sized weapons. I have no intentions of producing a sleeve and tellin' folks to drop their gun in it.

In regards to the rigidity of the opening, I stitched two layers of 7/8 oz together at the opening to include covering the trigger guard. Attached is a photo with the weapon installed.

post-37480-0-14478800-1364155921_thumb.j

Thanks for all the input. I will post pics of the holster with the gun in it later (I'm out of town). Please know that safety is always a major consideration for me. I looked at the design and made sure that no accidental discharges were possible. The mouth stays open all on its own without a steel strap. Also, the stitching was done tight enough that even without molding the holster retains the weapon tightly. I understand the concerns and thank you for your input.

Hey Murry, I think what they were getting at is that although the retention might be good now, when new, after use it will will loosen up quite a bit...thats why tight stitch lines are important in this type of minimalist design...you might want to consider more detail molding in this design to ensure some positive friction areas, such as the lower part of the trigger guard and ejection port...you also might look at rounding off the lower rear corner as this sharp "point" might cause some discomfort..good luch and keep at it..

Thanks Renegade,

I'm a bit dense at times. Thanks for breaking it down for me. I've still got a long way to go in this craft.

Murray