Schpacko

Loop Clamp?

Alright, so i bought one of these Loop Clamps

lcls.jpg

because i thought i knew how they are used. Turns out.....

.... i don't :)

Can anyone explain how to use this thing correctly?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Schpacko

It fits inside the jaws of your stitching clam with the circular part downwards and the horizontal 'wings' resting on the top edge of the jaws. The loop is inserted in the vertical metal jaws.

Hope the not very good diagram helps.

post-636-0-28969000-1365769607_thumb.png

It fits inside the jaws of your stitching clam with the circular part downwards and the horizontal 'wings' resting on the top edge of the jaws. The loop is inserted in the vertical metal jaws.

Hope the not very good diagram helps.

Thats a very good answer, short and well explained.

Here is its wooden counterpart.

Tor

post-10237-0-24210600-1365783107_thumb.j

Slight piggyback: what advantages does the metal type have over the wooden one, or vice versa? I can get either for roughly the same price.

I`d check which fits your clams the best first as my metal loop clamps do not fit my stitching pony which I use at shows but fit my clams at home because of the rounded shape. The best loop clamps I have used were made from sprung steel bent back on itself around a round bar and had small stops fastened on the outside to stop them slipping down the clamps (like the notches on the pictured wooden clamps) one day I will get some made but it`s not at the top of the to do list yet.

The wooden clamp is cheaper. Its a bit to stiff , I suppose it softens up a bit with more use. Or else I have to trim of abit wood to make it softer. I have to admit I use a lot of of brass loop staples ( and regular staples on hidden places), not often I take the time to sew my loops.

Tor

I use my screw crease to stitch loops hope this has not confused this topic.

Have noticed some cheaper metal loop clams can bend out of shape.

Kind regards JCUK

Does anybody where these can be found nowadays?

I remember Bowstock offering them some time ago, but I can't find them now, when I actually want it of course.

Edited by simontuntelder

Hi Simon, I think Abbey still have them both. My wooden one has till not soften up, but I do not use it that much. I mostly use a special brass loop staples instead of sewing. If the paint comes off the metal clamp it will stain the leather. You could modify the wooden cheaper clamp, by removing some excess material to soften it up a bit. It's excellent material in it.

Hi Simon, I think Abbey still have them both. My wooden one has till not soften up, but I do not use it that much. I mostly use a special brass loop staples instead of sewing. If the paint comes off the metal clamp it will stain the leather. You could modify the wooden cheaper clamp, by removing some excess material to soften it up a bit. It's excellent material in it.

Thanks, Tor.

I spent hours browsing through Abbey the other day, as I'm placing a big order with them soon, but I didn't see them, but their website is a bit weird, so I'm sure it's there and I'll go in and add the steel and wooden clam to the cart.

Sorry no picture but here is the page link .

Like said in my earlier post i like to use my screw crease have tried steel loop clams

found they can bend out of shape.

Hope this helps

jcuk

http://www.abbeyengland.com/Store/tabid/77/language/en-GB/Default.aspx?txtSearch=loop+clam