Sign in to follow this  
equiss

Clean corners and edging

Hello All,

I have not been doing leatherwork for very long, but I am having a problem when edging my projects, especially if they are round (e.g. spur strap ends). I can cut them out fairly circular with the maintained shape, but when I use my edgers, then I have problems and they all end up looking "hacked" and no longer hold a round shape.

Are there any tricks, other than practice practice practice, that can help me to get clean edges and edges around my circles? This has been more frustrating for me than tooling itself. The "round" curves are the most troublesome, but I find that anytime I edge anything, then my piece become un-uniform and messy.

thank you for the help and the input

I have the same feeling with tight corners on my bracers, practise helps and I prefer doing it when it's cased. Not soaked but not to dry either. Try stropping the edger by applying jewlers rouge to a leather string and run it through one in a while.

Theese steps will at least help you along the way.

Tom

Try paying attention to the angle you start your edger at, keep your arm, hand, and edger at the same angle all the way around the curve as you push.

Also keep your edgers SHARP. I have started useing my dremel tool with the little white buffing wheel, start it up with the buffing wheel against the rouge and smear some on!!!

I polish the underside (round side) with it. The top just needs a touch up with #2000 grit paper once in a while.

I know what you mean about those round edges. In addition to keeping my edger sharp, I some take my thumb from the other hand and kind of press my thumb from my right hand (I'm left handed) behind the back of the edger while I have the knuckle of my first finger on the item to be edged and kind of use it as a pivot. I'm not sure if I described that very well, but that's how I do it. You might also try different styles of edgers. I have some Rons edgers that I really like, but I do find them a little harder to control than say a Bissonette.

I know what you mean about those round edges. In addition to keeping my edger sharp, I some take my thumb from the other hand and kind of press my thumb from my right hand (I'm left handed) behind the back of the edger while I have the knuckle of my first finger on the item to be edged and kind of use it as a pivot. I'm not sure if I described that very well, but that's how I do it. You might also try different styles of edgers. I have some Rons edgers that I really like, but I do find them a little harder to control than say a Bissonette.

Thank you all for the tips - I had never thought about using my dremmel tool to sharpen the underside, I will have to give that a try. And, I also am left handed, and I think that sometimes is a pain....thanks again!

Thank you all for the tips - I had never thought about using my dremmel tool to sharpen the underside, I will have to give that a try. And, I also am left handed, and I think that sometimes is a pain....thanks again! NOTE: Try using a sanding block and a good grade of 80 or 100 grit sand paper. This often works for some people. For inside corners, try wrapping the sand paper around a pencil or piece of pipe, etc. Good luck, Stan

Have you tried keeping the edger still, and rotating the leather? I often find this gives a more consistent edge on circles and rounded corners, but the edger does need to be very sharp.