I've been asked to make a holster for a small gun that hangs on his current belt. I don't know ANYTHING about guns or making the right fitting holster. I have alerted him of this. He wants to go ahead and have me make it. One question I have is the weight of leather? Also any other tips for making this go smoothly. He already has a holster but wants to change it. I can post a photo of his current holster when I meet up with him. ALL HELP APPRECIATED!!

I use 6-7 oz for my holsters.

Post picture and some idea of style he is looking for we should be able to get you going in the right direction. Also find out about where on his belt he likes to wear the holster.

Not sure when he'll be out to drop off the holster but I'll post it as soon as I get it! Good question as to where he'll be wearing it on the belt! Thanks for the responses!

Pick up a copy Stohlman's book on holster making. It will help get you through making a custom holster. If you are in a time crunch check out the cowboy holster making tutorial pinned at the beginning of this forum. Jim does a good job of covering how to create a custom holster.

After I retired my wife urged me to GET a hobby. I had always dabbled in leather work since I was a young child. I decided on holster building as I had carried a gun for 36+ years. I knew very little about building one. I do have a friend who built holsters as a hobby while working... He is not one of those high end builders (most start over 190 - 240). I stopped at his place and asked him to teach me... He said I can't because it does not work that way. You have to actually do it to learn it. (at least based on the way my mind works). I picked up the Stohlman book and it give some basic info on holsters that are not the "main" stream ccw holster everyone wants. So my buddy helped me with a pattern and I started. In the last year and a half I have gotten much better and my friend has actually given me a positive complement. (I continually ask him to evaluate my work and he does with brutal honesty but we have that kind of relationship). I've been busy making holsters for lots of folks for a while now. I still consider myself a novice and have a lot to learn. I have a LOT of prototypes that I've built to get it right before sending it out the door. I try to build a holster I would use as a working LEO to carry a firearm to protect myself and my family... One of the things I've learned is a lot of folks don't know any more about holsters than I do and carry a firearm even less. Everything they know they learned on some forum and then want something that from a every day carry perspective it just not realistic. I listen to them on what they want and then try to put that into a product I would use. Good luck with the project. Get a gun mold so you know exactly what gun you are building a holster for. By the way in my first several visits with my friend I'd take notes. He looked me right in the eye and said he did not want to see any of our conversation on some internet forum.. I would pass this on for what it is worth as a good place to start your very first ccw holster....http://springfieldle...olster,5styles/ good luck... But be careful its addicting...

Edited by DoubleBarP

Thanks Steve and DoubleBarP, he hasn't brought it by yet so maybe he's changed his mind. I'm sure there's many styles and ways of doing holsters so I'll take all the help I can get! Since I've never used a gun I know nothing. I know I've seen a lot of beautiful holsters here on the leatherworker so surely I can get the info I'll need. Thanks all

benlilly1,

X2 on Stohlman's book on holster making, I have one recommendation that no one mentions much but I'm completely emphatic about. I make quite a few custom holsters and I always use the customer's weapon for measuring, molding if it's gonna be molded, and final fit. The rule I have is NEVER, NEVER, NEVER bring a loaded weapon to my shop. I've had a couple of folks who have carry permits want to show up with the weapon loaded and then proceed to unload it in my shop, they had to find another source for their custom holsters. I actually had a retired LEO come to my booth at a craft fair, unholster his loaded weapon and start trying it in holsters that I had as demos to see how it fit. I'm a firm believer in self protection, have a CC permit, but when working with a weapon or exchanging it from person to person, it should be unloaded, locked and cleared, no exceptions!!!

Chief

benlilly1,

X2 on Stohlman's book on holster making, I have one recommendation that no one mentions much but I'm completely emphatic about. I make quite a few custom holsters and I always use the customer's weapon for measuring, molding if it's gonna be molded, and final fit. The rule I have is NEVER, NEVER, NEVER bring a loaded weapon to my shop. I've had a couple of folks who have carry permits want to show up with the weapon loaded and then proceed to unload it in my shop, they had to find another source for their custom holsters. I actually had a retired LEO come to my booth at a craft fair, unholster his loaded weapon and start trying it in holsters that I had as demos to see how it fit. I'm a firm believer in self protection, have a CC permit, but when working with a weapon or exchanging it from person to person, it should be unloaded, locked and cleared, no exceptions!!!

Chief

I agree with you Chief. That was something I worried about. I'm not real fond of guns but I'd use one if I had to... I wouldn't know how to unload one. We'll see if he shows up with it and I'll post a photo. Thanks Chief

I'd also add that since you have zero firearms experience, you are definitely not qualified to build a product that is meant to carry loaded guns, which are inherently dangerous.

This is not an insult, but please know that you're dealing with things that when improperly constructed, could take the life of the user and people in or around their general vicinity. Again, this is not a bash on your ability in leather or your ability to learn. Take a firearms safety course, hit the range with a friend, get somewhat familiar with guns in general. Then think about holsters.

I'd also add that since you have zero firearms experience, you are definitely not qualified to build a product that is meant to carry loaded guns, which are inherently dangerous.

This is not an insult, but please know that you're dealing with things that when improperly constructed, could take the life of the user and people in or around their general vicinity. Again, this is not a bash on your ability in leather or your ability to learn. Take a firearms safety course, hit the range with a friend, get somewhat familiar with guns in general. Then think about holsters.

Well, I've already backed out of doing the holster... the main reason is I don't know enough. This isn't my cup of tea anyway. You have a nice informative website dickf. You do some fine work!

Hey, thanks for the compliment!

Also, thanks for taking my post as it was intended. You can definitely build great holsters if you want to with a little bit of knowledge and first hand experience.

Have a nice night.

:cheers: