For 2 years now I have visited and marveled at the pistol case that a convict made for Kevin at Springfield Leather in Missouri. I finally remembered to take a camera with me today and took some pictures. The incredible thing about this piece is that the leather is 7/8 oz and unlike Peter Main and others- the leaves are NOT glued to the top. The reason that I say this is that you can STICK YOU LITTLE FINGER UNDER THE UNDERCUTS! I have no idea how he did this as I didn't think that you could stretch leather this high. I'm sick that my camera ran out of battery as the next few pictures that I was going to take wold have shown my hand on it to show exactly how deep the undercuts are.

He must have had a lot of time on his hands..... 15-20 I think.

This depth of tooling rivals anything that I have seen from Al Stohlman, Peter Main, etc. This man is a master

Picture_1.png

Picture_2.png

Picture_3.png

post-520-1200788345_thumb.png

post-520-1200788364_thumb.png

post-520-1200788384_thumb.png

I forgot to mention that you can hold the case horizontally and see all the way under the leaves!!!!!!

Picture_4.png

Picture_5.png

post-520-1200788519_thumb.png

post-520-1200788536_thumb.png

PETE, that is a fabolious piece of leather work, or i could say

Leather Art. what color did you use and what is that border design

looks like leaves.. :notworthy:

That is beautiful. I was always amazed at the amount of talent that came out of inmates in prison. I think it has a lot to do with all the time you have on your hands.

Ken

PETE, that is a fabolious piece of leather work, or i could say

Leather Art. what color did you use and what is that border design

looks like leaves.. :notworthy:

Luke- I didn't do this piece. A prisoner did. It is at Springfield Leather on the wall.

pete

This is a fantastic piece of leather art!

Wolf

Fantastic work. It's amazing what people can accomplish when they direct their energy in a positive path.

Also Pete, you would be amazed at how far leather will stretch. If you look for work by Robb Barr, you'll find that some of his work is stretch 4, 5, maybe 6 inches from the flat plane.

I had the chance to see some of his work first hand, and believe me, leather can stretch A LOT!!!

Marlon

Speaking as an officer in the corrections field for many years, I can attest to the abundance of talent and skills that lots of them have, but do NOTHING w/ it because of all the "distractions" i will call it on the outside.

A question if I may, Is the design 1 piece of leather folded over with a zipper around the perimeter or is it 3 pieces with a zipper sewn into the 3rd piece around the perimeter? I am trying out some patterns. One is sort of a kidney bean shape with a top, bottom and a strip with a zipper around the butt end so it would not fold all the way open rather you would draw the pistol out of it, and the other would be kind of a rounded triangle shape folded over with a zipper closure most of the way around it that would open almost flat. Also I am thinking of a batting and flannel lining. Any suggestions?

It is one piece of leather.If you want I can take more fotos of it next time I go to Springfield. I'll take close-ups of the inside and zipper attachment.

pete

That would be cool, I guess what I was asking is if the zipper was attached to a leather gusset all the way around or if the zipper tape served as the gusset only far enough for the case to open flat.

That would be cool, I guess what I was asking is if the zipper was attached to a leather gusset all the way around or if the zipper tape served as the gusset only far enough for the case to open flat.

Not sure. I'll get up there in a week or so, open it and take some close-ups for you.

pete

Yes, I know it's old. Anyone still have the pattern for these? The CUTTING pattern, not the carving design.

I just seen a pattern for these it was called a pistol rug. I can't remember if it was Leathercrafters and Saddlers Journal. I will look and see what I can find.

Have not found the one I am looking for but went through my pattern packs and tandy's pattern Pack holsters and gun belts 6031 has a pattern they call a pistol caddy. Same design as the one pictured on theis thread. It has a pattern for the zipper gusset and instructions for sewing the zipper. You can find the pattern at your Tandy store (mine has it in stock) or you can down load it from tandy's on line library. I think the digital down load is $6.99

6031-00-Holster-and-Gun-Belt-Pattern-Pack.gif

Got it. Thanks!

I have played around with petal lifters and if your very, very careful and methodical you can get this effect. That is an outstanding piece thanks for sharing it Pete.

Maybe they should check for tunnels under the prisoners cell?

Awesome piece.