Sign in to follow this  
rawhider

Bosal

Here is a bosal I just finished. Pretty basic, with navy roo lace interwoven.

Houston_Bosal_Heel_Knot.jpg

Houston_Bosal_Shaped.jpg

Houston_Bosal_Side_Button.jpg

post-5252-1220929175_thumb.jpg

post-5252-1220929187_thumb.jpg

post-5252-1220929204_thumb.jpg

Here is a bosal I just finished. Pretty basic, with navy roo lace interwoven.

That looks really good!! It intrigues me enough I may have to give it a try!!

Well done!

Very attactive and nicely formed bosel. Is this for your personal use? Did you use or make a forming block to get the nose shape? Obviously you know something about fitting a bosel. It's nice to see good work. If you can it would be great to see how it fit on a horse! I've seen people who buy a bosel and try to use it right of the shelf with out forming it to fit first. Can result in some nasty sores if not properly shaped.

Is there any way to see one of those things on a horse. I like the way it looks and was thinking of giving it a try. Are the 2 pieces coming off the sides used as reins? Do you cut your own rawhide? I tried it but boy is it tough. Good work by the way. I always learn something everytime I come into this comunnity. Thanks everyone.

Tom

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Grumpyguy, this bosal is for a client of mine. Here is a picture of my horse with the bosal I made for him. However, the first bosal I made him was 5/8", and a little too small. On young horses, I like to use a 3/4" bosal to start, then as you progress, you get smaller. I do use a shaping block, just a 2x4, about 5" long with the edges rounded off.

Carr52, I do cut my own strings. As you can see in the picture, the side pieces you saw are the hanger. The hanger is basicaly the headstall, but much simpler. The reins are tied onto the bosal at teh heel knot, where the two cheek pieces come together. There is a specific way to tie the reins, and traditionally a long continuous rein call a "mecate" is used. one end is tied along with a section in the middle, creating a loop rein and about a 12' lead rope. Bosals where used long before the advent of the snaffle bit. That lead rope sure came in handy if you got bucked off a young horse. The rope is tucked under the belt of you chaps, and if you came off, you still had hold of your mount.

Logan_Hackamore_Head.jpg

cowpony.jpg

bucked_off_on_rocks.jpg

post-5252-1221313966_thumb.jpg

post-5252-1221314173_thumb.jpg

post-5252-1221314191_thumb.jpg

Edited by rawhider

rawhider

Nice looking bosal

Mike