kevturbo

Bulk End Strap End Cutting Quickly

Hi all,

I need to use a strap end cutter for about 30 belts at a time, and I was wondering if there is a faster way anyone could recommend than using a poly/rawhide mallet and doing them by hand. I considered using an arbor press but the strap end cutters I have are too wide at the top - about 3/4" - to be able to drill in to the arm, or too long - about 5 1/2 " - to fit under the press arm.

I think I am missing a trick here somehow, and would appreciate some advice. Fitting each strap into a jig, and pressing them would be both fast and accurate too - at least that was the train of thought I was having on the subject.

Any advice from you seasoned strap cutters out there in Leatherworker land, as I am stumped on this one!

Thanks a million in advance.

Kevin

Nickelsafe, UK

I have no idea if the one ton arbor press that I have would be up to the job but if I were inclined to try it I would simply cut the punch down to a length that would fit in the press. If I cannot modify the press to fit the tool, I just modify the tool to fit the press.

A fine idea, and one that had crossed my mind already. However the Craftool punch that I have purchased is not solid metal, but seems to be a tubular construct. This would mean that sawing off the end would destabilise the whole punch, and it would bend and crumple if used under a press. Something i could not have known having bought from the web, as it looked robust enough from the picture. it also cost fifty of our english pounds to buy, so an expensive learning curve I might add. Are there solid strap end punches out there, that could be adapted that you or anyone else might know of?

I'm sure a lot of them are tubular. The problem you'll face is that the Craftool one is a really thin gauge metal ( I don't even want to guarantee that it's steel). You can check out Osborne. There is also another thread here with some cheaper ones from Taiwan, I believe, that were inexpensive but seemed to be decent quality for the price. You may be able to just stock up on those and break them as you need to if they're not strong enough.

I got a strap end punch from Bruce Johnson, a member here that sells used tools. PM him and he'll set you up with a good one. Mine has a solid handle and is very heavy. Cheryl

Thanks for the advice, but I think the topic is straying away from my original question a little. How to finish the strap ends of a large quantity of belts in the quickest and best way possible. If I could find a press that would have enough room to fit a strap end punch underneath, plus a jig with a belt, then I was guessing that would work. How do y'all doing this out there, please folks?

My explanations of how to do things seem to be less than perfect for some folks but I will give this a shot.

You need at least a 2 ton Arbor press. It will be hand operated, your arm will increase in size after you do a pile of these. LOL

One piece of steel at least 1/4" x 4" x 12"

One piece of steel 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 12"

Two pieces of aluminum or steel 1/2" x 2" x 2"

Two angle brackets intended for sliding doors (Lowe's and HD has these).

One piece of cutting board surface at least 1/4" x 4" x 12"

Four 1/4x20 thumb screws 1/2" long.

Four other bolts to fasten upright to the angle brackets.

A strap end punch of your choosing. Cut the handle completely off the punch and grind the surface level across the top of the cutting edges. You will need a 1/4" piece of steel to match the outer limits of the punch cutting edge. This will lay on top of the punch so the ram of the press has a surface to rest on. If you have access to brazing or welding equipment, the small plate should be attached to punch.

You will also need access to a drill press and thread taps.

post-15740-0-75636200-1372786349_thumb.j

Photo showing table with adjustable back stop. You will need a stop at one end to butt the strap and align the punch.

post-15740-0-57115200-1372786573_thumb.j

Rear view.

post-15740-0-63024100-1372786633_thumb.j

Table turned up so you can see the blocks that clamp onto the base of the arbor press. Holes in aluminum blocks are not relevant.

post-15740-0-28924000-1372786748_thumb.j

Another shot of adjustable angles.

You could add another stop to adjust to different widths of strap if you wish. Normally the strap will stay against the back stop while cutting.

Tried to make this as concise as possible and still give you enough info to make the jig. The arbor press will not cut more than one strap thickness at a time but this provides you with a jig to cut every strap exactly the same.

If I can be of further help just let me know.

ferg

Thanks for the advice, but I think the topic is straying away from my original question a little. How to finish the strap ends of a large quantity of belts in the quickest and best way possible. If I could find a press that would have enough room to fit a strap end punch underneath, plus a jig with a belt, then I was guessing that would work. How do y'all doing this out there, please folks?

I'm not doing it. But, you mentioned you liked the idea of modifying a tool to fit your press, so I was offering alternatives to the Craftool you had that wouldn't suit your needs.

Now, my opinion on "speeding things up"....

The amount of time it takes to place the belts in whatever jig you happen to make and then operate the machine will likely be equal to the amount of time it takes to place a strap end punch on the belt and hit it one time. So, considering that, along with the occasional one that doesn't punch right making scrap, you'll have a lot of time and money into making a new method that may or may not pay back in financial returns. Now, if you have the ability to create a finely tuned machine with lots of precise adjustment to count for the variables that arise from a "manufacturing" process (which this is becoming), then by all means create something.

I have a question for you? How much power and how many hits is it taking you to cut trough a strap with your end punch? It should be:

1Line up punch

2 Whack

3 Toss strap on pile

If its not, your punch needs sharpening. They don't come ready to go.

I used to make 250 dog collars every week. It would take me less than a minute to punch the end of 30. You have to have a solid work surface, I would lay my cutting pad on the concrete floor. And a mallet won't do the job, you need a 3 lb maul, and a heavy duty punch. If you want a quality product you need quality tools.

Edited by tnawrot2

You could make a end strap cutter out of a short socket and then screw it to the ram of a arbor press through the square hole. Make it like this one made with a tall socket. By the way I made his one with a bench grinder and and sharpened it with a Dremel tool. Dipping it in water quite often to keep from losing the temper of the socket tool. You could use a extension for a tool holder for all the rough grinding. -- Tex

Seventy Five Cent End Strap Cutter Or Punch - Leather Tools - Leatherworker.net

Some of you gents may think the press I illustrated is slow but I assure you, it is not.

"Slow" is relative to the person doing the work. Lay out the job, set-up the jig and have at it. Simple as that.

ferg

A arbor press set up like this for end strap cutting should be very quick. If I was running a saddle shop or any shop where I did a lot of clicking I would have a big swing arm clicker. However having used the manual Lucris clicker I would not be without a small manual clicker in such a shop if I clicked a lot of small items. It is so easy and fast it to click small items. The 3 items that I sell the most, I sell maybe 500 and up a month and I can click 250 clicks per hour. When I get a large custom order of say 300 and up on one order the Lucris I own pays for its self every time. -- Tex