Paulr

Hiding A Knot

When i get to the end of a piece of thread, saddle stitching, im always at a loss for what to do to secure it so you cant see it. Will it hold secure if i back stitch it a bit? Thanks.

If you back stitch (it is called a lock stitch) 2 1/2 stitches it will lock your stitch and you can cut the ends off flush. 2 1/2 stitches is my preference not a rule.

To hide your knot you can pull it into the center of the stitched leather. That works pretty well.

When finished sewing a saddle stitch tie your knot. Then pull it from the opposite side till it doesn't show from either side. Cut your thread real close when done.

I know, clear as mud.

Hope it helps though

Joel

As others have said, backstitching works great with leather. Stich back 2 or 3 stitches, then go through one more, but this time pull the needle up between the two pieces of leather. If I want a stitch line to be particularly strong, I will line up my start and end sitches so they are only a few holes apart, and set a knot in between the leathers.

Two or three people have said to hide the knot between the leathers. How do you go on if you glue your leather, as I do, prior to stitching?

This is why one of the big skills in hand sewing is getting good at spreading glue. You only need enough to hold the pieces together until the sewing or lacing is done. If you're too heavy handed you will not be able to get the needle back between the pieces.

According to the Al Stohlman "Art of Hand Sewing Leather" you would backstitch two holes and then cut the threads off close. Then you are done.

I sometimes hide my stitch ending by using a loop of thread laid inside and across the piece where I'm guna back stitch to and on the last stitch bring the thread out the side between the two pieces, pass it through the loop and cut it short enough so it wont come out the other side and them pull the loop thread out and the ends will disappear in to the center of the piece.

Just backstitch. Certainly holds in linen with stickywax. If you are using straight beeswax or a synthetic thread... your mileage may vary.