I had a customer contact me saying they wanted me to teach them a one on one holster making class - start to finish including the design process. Just curious if any of you out there could offer any suggestions for what to charge. I'm thinking it should be an hourly rate plus supplies? Any ideas of what the hourly rate should be or other suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

No experience on my end, but knowing your work I would be willing to pony up a fair price. I see it as a matter of what your time is worth to you. You are the one with the skill and the request was made of you not from you. I don't see anything wrong with you doing it I wish I lived close enough to someone with the knowhow to make a similar request. Just come up with a figure that is fair to you.

You might contact Chris Andre, Slickbald custom/Makers Leather Supply. He teaches classes I think for his holster making and design class he charges $750. for a three day class. Maybe he can tell you how he breaks down what he charges.

Dwight is someone else you should contact. I know he used to teach a class....

Think of yourself as an investment Eric. You have spent countless hours perfecting your trade, and spent a ton of money in the process. Now someone wants to learn the easy way what you have spent years learning the hard way. Thats worth quite a bit. dvd's sell cheap because you cant ask a dvd 20 questions...books sell cheap because so few people can write well, and fewer can read well...your offering the complete, interactive program...dont short yourself...

God Bless

Don

The classes I teach, . . . are really, really basic. The student winds up with a simple pancake holster after 5 1 hour sessions.

I charged $40 per student, . . . usually working with 5 students, . . . which gave me a gross of about $40 an hour, . . .

In addition, there was no charge for the dye and resolene finish, . . . and I allowed those who were "brave" enough, . . . to try their hand at using my Boss machine to sew their creations.

I found, truthfully, . . . very few who would ever pursue it beyond their own personal use. They were looking to ramp up their own personal skill set, . . . and it was quite a lot of fun.

Hope this helps, may God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I really appreciate it. I'm sure I'll probably end up charging too little for this first class, but you all have given me a lot to think about should I ever decide to start teaching classes regularly. At a minimum, I'll probably charge full price for whatever holster he's wanting to make, but that's probably not nearly enough once you consider all the additional instructional time.

I have two friends that come in and help me from time to time, edges, one of them stamps quite well now, etc. I only know the equation from one side, but the amount of time involved in getting someone willing and able up to speed is quite large from my experience. I don't make a holster expensive enough to only charge that much as there are lots of little tips, tricks, etc I just never put much thought into that need to be explained. This is a scenario where it is truly worth what someone is willing to pay. How can you put a price on proprietary knowledge? At the same time you can't take it with you. Good luck! Judging by the popularity of your videos I don't think that you'll have any problems teaching.

Thank you Eaglestroker - I appreciate the compliment. Hopefully I can make some more videos as soon as I get my queue cleared out. Finally got a new computer, now I need to make it pay for itself!! :)

Hey Particle,

just a suggestion. If it is going to be an all-day affair, you may want to figure what money you would make in a given day making your own product to sell and charge them that amount per day. I have had a couple of customers who have approached me about the same thing. I explained to them the amount of income I would lose spending the day teaching them just the basics of the trade.

Both found it more economical just to have me make what they wanted.

The largest drawback I can think of is that an accident can occur, and what my liabilities would be if it happened in my shop.

For that reason I also do not allow children in the shop.

George

George - good point about accidents and insurance... Didn't think about that. I wonder if a basic liability waiver is in order...

Hey Particle,

not being a lawyer I cannot say for sure but I have heard numerous times in the past that a person cannot sign away any rights to recourse they may have. You would have to check with a good lawyer first and then add that to the total. Just kidding.

When I went to saddle school we cut ourselves almost every day for the first 3 weeks or so, I just know I'd feel awful if someone lost a finger or worse. Not too mention what it may do to my reputation.

George

Eric it looks to me your about 50 miles from the Dallas Tandy leather store. You could host a class there. Fred Pfeil does one in San Antonio with a group rate of 10 bucks a head.

My sister charges 20 an hour for crochet lessons.

Edited by JJLeatherworks

Seems like you've got a lot on your plate already, Eric.

Seems like you've got a lot on your plate already, Eric.

Yeah, my wife keeps telling me that too...... :)