RiverCity

Thread Tensions

Just got my new cowboy 27 set up and am playing with stitch lengths and tensions. Do these stitches look right?

The bottom thread looks like its trying to pull through to me?

Chuck

post-38972-0-10923400-1373420901_thumb.j

post-38972-0-77174800-1373420913_thumb.j

If you see the knot on the top side, you need to reduce the top tension a little so the knot is hidden between the top and bottom. (A little hard to do sometimes with thin material.)

Tom

For lockstitch machines of virtually every class, a good starting point is your needle thread should have about twice the tension as the bobbin. That's pulling the bobbin thread up through the throat place and the needle threaded all the way without going through the needle. I always adjust bobbin tension first, then make top tension adjustments until I'm happy with it. If you run your tensions too tight (with leather and in fact even lightweight nylon), you get what's called tension fracture. On leather it shows up by deforming the material inwards making the needle holes appear larger than they are. Given that condition, you would tend to go to a smaller and perhaps undersized needle which makes adjusting the tension even harder. Get some scrap and adjust your tensions so you can see how they react. You'll be a pro in no time. Have fun!

Regards, Eric