motetra

Sewing Latigo Skipping Stitches

I have an artisan Toro 4000. I am no seemstress and I am not a pro leather worker either but I like to make a few things here and there. My Artisan is skipping stitches on latigo- its very difficult to sew. It has started to skip stitches on the smaller stuff as well. I have adjusted the tension, changed needles, changed the bobbin, done more practice pieces, ect. I am just at a loss of what to do next. Please help me before I go insane!

Sorry I am no help but have experienced the same thing, and tried everything you mentioned. I am wondering about using extra thread lube to see if that works. How thick are you sewing? I am sewing three pieces of about 12oz.

Hard leather may have pushed your needle bar up. Then even thin or soft leather will be a problem. Did you have a jam?

Wizcraft has a number of suggestions posted for many problems, search his posts. One suggestion he gives is to loosen your needle screw, drop the needle a little, may 1/8", tighten the needle in that position and see if it sews okay. If it does, you need to reset the needle bar.

Tom

Edited by northmount

Thanks, I will try that Tom. It did start with sewing an 8 ounce leather to about the same in latigo.

I can swutch back over to a thick veg tan breast collar and stitch without a problem

Moving the needle down worked great. I was making a bronc halter and took the thread out, ran it through to get the holes, rethreaded and it sewed beautifully. Thanks for the help.