Cyclist2

Thinning Leather

Hi All; Newbie here, made a few kits so far. I've read lots of "How do I do that" posts, and lots more to read but haven't come across this, yet...

I made a Tandy passport wallet kit. Came out OK. I had to modify several things slightly to make it all fit. However, my question is this: The leather is constant thickness and where it bends I'd like to make slightly thinner so that it bends a little easier. I haven't found a tool that will "plane" or scrape off a little of the flesh side in a controlled way to make it uniformly thinner along that spine. How do I do that? Would I want to do that?

Thanks!

Mark (I ride bicycles, too)

One of these should do that: Super Skiver

Hi Mark. Get a hand skiver (which may be the tool you found) and 'skive' off some of the leather on the back to make it bend easier. http://springfieldleather.com/24773/Beveler%2CSafety/ This is what I've used for two years. Hope this helps, Cheryl

I don't think I would skive the leather at the spine as it may weaken it. However If you want it to bend better you could try gouging 2 or 3 lines down the spine area to ease the bend slightly. Hope this makes sense.

I don't think I would skive the leather at the spine as it may weaken it. However If you want it to bend better you could try gouging 2 or 3 lines down the spine area to ease the bend slightly. Hope this makes sense.

These are a couple of tools designed to gouge a groove to make box corners. Kind of expensive for one or 2 uses though.

post-14889-0-38319800-1375036826_thumb.j

post-14889-0-10249900-1375036827_thumb.j

Hi!

I made an Ipad case using a very thick leather. At this time i did not know that leather could be thinned out, so my solution was to stamp a lot of holes :)

I also oiled that part of the case and it bent quite well.

Maybe my solution could be used in your project as well?

Here's a rough picture, hope you understand what i mean :)

post-35800-0-93850700-1375041221_thumb.j

Greetings

Andreas

Thinning at the bend in a wallet is not such a good idea but if you wish to do a perfect job buy a "French Edge Skiving" tool. Several widths available.

They aren't cheap but a good one is a blessing to use.

ferg

Thanks for the replies! The reason I want it to bend a little easier is that I'm modifying it to be an iPhone wallet. Where the passport would go, I'm going to glue in a plastic back case to hold the phone (any recommendations for a super, permanent glue would be appreciated). When talking on the phone, the front side of the wallet has to be folded back against the back so it won't be in your face, so it has to bend in the opening direction easily and fully. The closed direction doesn't matter, the normal bend is fine.

I experimented on some scrap today, both with the parallel knife cut lines and skiving (with a utility knife). The knife cuts work better, but I have to be careful not to cut too deep! The skiving produces a wide groove, which makes the wallet a little floppy with the thinned spine.