Matt Alsaker

Airbrushed Holster For A 1911 Colt Commander

I used Fiebing's Walnut Oil Dye (cut 2:1) and Fiebing's Black Oil Dye for the edges. I airbrushed on most of the dye, except the edges which were done in black with a dauber. I really enjoy using the airbrush and had fun making this one. Too bad the winters are long here in Wisconsin and I don't have a safe place to airbrush inside.

post-28681-0-60727700-1375937254_thumb.j

post-28681-0-82671500-1375937261_thumb.j

post-28681-0-72140900-1375937269_thumb.j

post-28681-0-43734000-1375937277_thumb.j

That's a really nice holster Matt! I like the brown, and you did a great job with the airbrushing. I haven't airbrushed edges in a while because of the smell. It just lingers in the shop for the rest of the day. Eric Adams (Particle) has airbrushed with the Tandy Pro Waterstains. I'm wondering if that might solve your and my problem with the fumes.

Paul

I used Fiebing's Walnut Oil Dye (cut 2:1) and Fiebing's Black Oil Dye for the edges. I airbrushed on most of the dye, except the edges which were done in black with a dauber. I really enjoy using the airbrush and had fun making this one. Too bad the winters are long here in Wisconsin and I don't have a safe place to airbrush inside.

Matt, I'm in Wisconsin too. I set up a system per imiketoo which works pretty good. It is a large plastic storage box with a furnace filter and a shop vac doing the work. You can also check out this link http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/booth.aspx for some inexpensive capture options.

That's a really nice holster Matt! I like the brown, and you did a great job with the airbrushing. I haven't airbrushed edges in a while because of the smell. It just lingers in the shop for the rest of the day. Eric Adams (Particle) has airbrushed with the Tandy Pro Waterstains. I'm wondering if that might solve your and my problem with the fumes.

Paul

I saw Eric was using the Pro Waterstains. I tried a couple colors earlier this year. I did not try airbrushing them, just put them on with a damp sponge. I thought the color turned out great and they went on evenly using the sponge. I wasn't getting the dye penetration into the hide (using HO "B" grade) I was hoping for. Not that the dye rubbed off, it didn't, the dye just didn't penetrate into the hide a deep as I hoped. Even under light wear, it seemed pretty easy to expose the natural hide under the dye. I've always been happy with Fiebing's Pro Oil Dye, so I just stuck with using them.

Matt, I'm in Wisconsin too. I set up a system per imiketoo which works pretty good. It is a large plastic storage box with a furnace filter and a shop vac doing the work. You can also check out this link http://www.tcpglobal...epot/booth.aspx for some inexpensive capture options.

I've been kicking around and researching different spray booths since last winter. I have two relatives who are research doctors and have each spent 25+ years working in labs. They reviewed the MSDS sheets on the Pro Oil Dye. I don't pretend to understand what they are talking about, but the gist was to get an industrial booth with an explosion resistant fan before airbrushing these dyes. I guess because of the size of the alcohol particles specific filters are needed and the alcohol is flammable. The MSDS sheet specifically says to use "explosion proof equipment". So for now they have sufficiently scared me (more so my wife) while joking about a 6 foot flames shooting out the side of my house and explosions that singe off all my hair. I'm going to stick to wearing a breathing mask and doing this out in the driveway for now. The booths they recommended started at $1400. I can't justify that expense right now.

Nice looking holster! Actually, that wasn't me that airbrushed the Tandy Pro Waterstains (not sure who has), but I was thinking about trying it. I agree - it doesn't seem to penetrate very deeply and it makes the surface of the leather somewhat water resistant. Strange stuff, but it's certainly easy to apply with a sponge. Angelus has been calling my name, but I haven't gotten around to trying their dyes yet.

Particle,

I saw that you had been using them a bit, and I guess I assumed that you had airbrushed them.

Angelus makes great dyes and finishes. They have a lot of colors, and I think their Angelus 600 series of finishes are easier to apply than Resolene, at least when using a brush, or sponge. Less chance of bubbles.

Paul

I think I asked about it, someone said it could be done, and I probably mentioned I'd try it. I'm pretty lazy though, so I never really got around to it. :) LOL

Thanks guys. I've never tried Angelus products, but have been considering them. I've been very happy with Fiebing's Pro Oil Dyes. There are so many other things I want to try with leather, I just haven't had the time to play with the dyes much.

Edited by Matt Alsaker

Great looking holster! I love using the Walnut fiebings dye. It's my favorite color. But I noticed Tandy hasn't been selling it. I've had to order direct or have found it online too.