Feraud

Trouble With Accuracy Of Fiebing's Dye-

Hi all, I'm having a problem finding the color I want. I ordered a bottle of Fiebing's British Tan and the color is more a dark red/burgundy/oxblood color!!

Using a dauber and a light coat on veg tan the color contains much more red than what I expected judging from the chart below.

I can understand and accept a bit of color variation but the color I received is way too red!

I'm not sure if I can dilute the current color down to a respectable British Tan.

Has anyone experienced this and can recommend a color close to either British Tan or Buckskin?

I don't have access to a brick and mortar shop and would rather not buy half a dozen colors online hoping to stumble on the right one!

Thanks!

2012_Color_Chart_web2.jpg

Hello Feraud.

Angelus makes a dye called Army Tan but it also has a reddish hue. Fiebings does make a beige, if you can find it. Color charts seem to be a bit different than the actual color you will achieve and type leather also plays a big part in the appearance or end result.

Really hard to say what to use. Fiebings beige has produced a tan like color, most of the time, when I used it.

There was a buckskin dye some years ago but been gone for quite awhile, I believe. I often use Fiebing light tan. Really trial and error but perhaps someone more experienced with dyes can set you off in the right direction.

God Bless.

Ray

Dilute your dye first before applying it. Build up the colour in layers. Always try it out on a piece of the same leather as the projects due to the colour shift you will get with the leather's colour.

Start with maybe 1 part dye to 5 parts thinner. Can dilute even further if needed.

Tom

With the Fiebing's colors, you can 'tone down' the reddish tint with a touch of green added. Do this S L O W L Y as the green is quite strong and it doesn't take much at all. You might try mixing a bit in a different bottle, 'case you dn't like it.

One more thing, not sure what shade you are after exactly, but I always thought the Fiebings buckskin was a bit yellow-ish.

Edited by JLSleather

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to dilute the color to achieve an acceptable tone.

Another tip, if you have a method of spraying the dye, airbrush spray gun etc. It helps in getting an even color with diluted dyes as well as layering the color.

Chuck

Thanks for the tip Chuck. I've read spraying is the way to an even application of color. Right now I am using a dauber and its taken a bit of practice to apply an even layer of dye.

It's been a fun learning experience.

Just wanted to update this thread and say I am receiving much better results after diluting the dye. Thank you all for your advice!