LeatherHead99

Help Picking A Sewing Machine.. I Have A Few Options

I've decide to dive into the leather working craft head first as I usually do with most endevours. I've set aside some money for a sewing machine to aid in this addiction. I've been looking on Craigslist and Ebay trying to find something close and within my budget. I have about a $1000 in my budget, but was hoping to have my cake and eat too by finding a nice used machine as well as having $$ left over to spend a few hundred on more hand tools, etc. So these are the machines im looking at so far. I mainly plan to make belts, suspenders, knife cases etc.

1. He says its a GA5-1, but the markings don't seem to match the other images I've seen of a GA5-1. I assume its a copy maybe? or decals he maybe put on, dunno.... http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/for/4001557033.html
  2. This one is local and, im just not sure PFAFF - 145 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-walking-foot-sewing-machine-/171106060729?pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item27d6b749b9
  3. And then this one a Singer. I failed to get the model # when I spoke with the owner.. he stated it does not have reverse... http://treasure.craigslist.org/for/3898144520.html

I'm a novice with sewing machines in general, but I'm pretty handy at fixing things. I'm hoping for a machine that would be easy to find parts for and easy to find literature on if needed. Would any of these be recommended for a beginner?

any suggestions or advise would be great

thanks

What do you intend to sew with the machine? How thick of leather will you sew?

Typical stuff. Belts and suspenders with linings, knife sheaths maybe some holsters etc I can't imagine needing to sew anything over 1/2" thick. Right now I'm using either 8/9oz or thicker I want to at least viable sew through two pieces if that thickness ( 1/4" I think)

The GA5-1 will sew 1/2", which means you can sew holsters and knife sheaths. You mention you are handy, I would make a flat table insert for it to make it more versatile. If you intend to sew leather over 1/4", the two other machines won't work.

Thanks for the info... much appreciated.

I assume $600 is a good price based on what i've found. Also, is there anything I should look for on these machines that would indicate there may be something wrong with it.. He says it works great and he hardly used it, but who knows for sure until I inspect it. He said I can bring some leather he will demonstrate it for me.

Thanks again

I also just read on this forum that the GA5-1 machines may leave marks on the underside of the leather from the feeder, is this typical for this type of machine?

If you haven't read this yet, please do, it will help you make some decisions about which type of machine will serve you best: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25239

And to answer your last question: Yes, it is typical of the GA5 machines. They use a toothed feed dog to move the leather. Save up some more money and get a compound/unison feed machine (walking foot) for your FIRST machine. If production speed is NOT an issue, you should also consider getting a Tippmann Boss. It has plenty of capacity, and operates by needle feed with a jump foot. No marks on the bottom (if you have things set right). The upside is that it is within the upper limits of your budget for a machine....downside is that it's a manual machine and sewing long stitch lines will wear out your arm. But that does mean that you get to control where every stitch goes.

If you lower your expected capacity, you could also look at a Consew 206 (or clone) which should handle up to 3/8ths inch. This one is currently pretty high on my list http://www.tolindsewmach.com/chandler-406rb.html

You should also consider what many of us have discovered: You'll need more than one machine. I have a Boss, which is for all the heavy work....I also need a flat bed for lighter work like straps, belts, and wallets. Yes, the Boss will do it, but it requires changing thread, needle, and resetting the tensions...which is a time eater. The reason you'll want multiple machines is so that you can sit down at whichever is most appropriate and get the work done without needing to do too much adjustment on it.

Thanks a bunch... production speed is certainly not an issue.. I do like the fact with the Tippmann I have complete control where each stitch goes and its wireless. lol .. Maybe I should jsut get off my wallet for once. . thanks for the info.

Thanks a bunch... production speed is certainly not an issue.. I do like the fact with the Tippmann I have complete control where each stitch goes and its wireless. lol .. Maybe I should jsut get off my wallet for once. . thanks for the info.

Read up some of the threads here about the Tippmann. Some hate it, some have learned its quirks and do well with it. As production demand increased, they have moved up the powered machines. Another thing I notice is the older cast iron frame is much preferred over the aluminum version. So check it out so you are aware of what you are getting into before you purchase.

Good luck with which ever direction you go.

Tom

Well, I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the Tippmann Boss that was listed in the "For Sale" thread in the forum. I didn't have it in me to buy a new one. I spent more than I wanted to, but I figured "what the heck". I read the reviews, watched a lot of videos and visited the company's website. I went with the Tippmann Boss because it looks simple to work on, it's portable ( big plus for me), small foot print (not much space left in the garage) and I figured quite a few people on the forum have one and I could probably get most of my questions answered here. I also loved how the company has all the manuals, videos, listed there for download and the easy parts finder diagram looks as though it would come in handy when / if something ever needs repair.

So here is my first question..... Where's the best place to buy thread for this machine? Im not sure if I have anyone local that sells machine thread.

thanks again.

Tippmann sells some threads on their site, the prices seem pretty reasonable. Check out Weaver too they have quite a variety to choose from.