MirabellaTook

Help! Issues Sealing Scarlet Red Eco-Flo

I'm having some major issues sealing a piece I've dyed with the Eco-Flo Scarlet Red color. I made sure to buff between each layer of dying, and buffed before sealing with Satin Sheen, but after 3 coats of Satin Sheen, color is STILL coming off quite a bit. The amount of residual dye on my daubers is not diminishing. This is a piece that will be worn on bare skin, and I certainly don't want to potentially stain skin after sweating or in minor rain!

Has anyone else had issues with red in particular? I've never had issues like this with any other color I've dyed with before.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Applying, rubbing with the dauber is dissolving the previous layer(s) of satin sheen. It's not allowing it to build up in layers. Try spraying the finish on in light layers using either an airbrush or the prevo stuff from Tandy. You can do two or three layers a few minutes apart. Then let dry for overnight and do some more layers.

We are going to have to get used to water based stuff since alcohol and other solvents are rated hazardous products and require special shipping. I was told that a 4 oz bottle of Fiebings dye will have a $35 hazardous shipping surcharge. So the Tandy manager here says in 18 months, they will no longer carry Fiebings products! So stock up now or buy larger sizes/quantities to reduce the unit cost for the surcharge. Not good news.

Tom

Some of the stuff that even store managers at Tandy sez is just what they “think”. I once had them tell me that they couldn't ship a quart of barge to me because people could make a bomb from it. I had to drive 20 miles to pick up the stuff in person because I had to have it sooner than I could UPS it in from Weaver. The strange thing was I had been getting Barge UPS'd in from Weaver for years and still do. My guess is that if they stop selling Fiebings products it will be just because they want to push there own garbage off on to there customers.

I wrapped a modelling tool handle in scarlet stained leather and found I quickly developed red finger.

I bet I have a nephew somewhere in Australia with a red wrist from scarlet eco-flow.....hopefully he doesn't figure it is from his leather bracelet I made him.

Seal it really well with acrylic or use oil based.

Live, learn

I've seen the same thing here.

I've stopped using the scarlet dye altogether.

The red professional waterstain doesn't have that problem... but it is a shade darker than the scarlet dye.

I don't like working with the waterstain - they don't penetrate the leather like the dyes do - but when a customer asks for red, that's what I use, 'cause I know it won't bleed.