leatheroo

viking shoes tutorial

At the risk of reviving a thread that has been dead for quite some time... how do you folks think these would fair if they were made from a 2mm thick suede? Mind you, the sole would be thicker, and eventually rubber (probably Vibram).

Any thoughts?

I have seen shoes like these (made in Germany) that have rubber soles and they are superb. My only regret was that I don't speak or write German well enough to chat with the makers but I did have a few very pleasant emails from them. Nice folk making good leatherwork and well worth a look.

Check out www.lederstrumpf-und-wichtelland.de

but specifically: http://www.lederstrumpf-und-wichtelland.de...uhe/schuhe.html

Those are really cool. I bet Leatheroo would like to see that as I think she was working on those same shoes but had questions about the soles/

I have seen shoes like these (made in Germany) that have rubber soles and they are superb. My only regret was that I don't speak or write German well enough to chat with the makers but I did have a few very pleasant emails from them. Nice folk making good leatherwork and well worth a look.

Check out www.lederstrumpf-und-wichtelland.de

but specifically: http://www.lederstrumpf-und-wichtelland.de...uhe/schuhe.html

Looks like some good stuff. Aside from only understanding a very small number of words, the detailed pictures speak plenty of English for me.

I'm definately going to try my hands at a pair for myself done up in the suede I have. The suede is presently a gray color (see the sporran in my avatar... the sporran was cut from the same 17sq-ft stock I plan to use for these shoes), but I'm sure I can hit the stuff with some brown or black dye. Once I do a low pair, I'm going to play with my pattern to try to produce a mid-calf pair. I also plan to look into some regular cow hide and maybe some buffalo hide. I participate in Renaissance Faires, and could never have too many pairs of shoes to wear to faire!

Looks like some good stuff. Aside from only understanding a very small number of words, the detailed pictures speak plenty of English for me.

I'm definately going to try my hands at a pair for myself done up in the suede I have. The suede is presently a gray color (see the sporran in my avatar... the sporran was cut from the same 17sq-ft stock I plan to use for these shoes), but I'm sure I can hit the stuff with some brown or black dye. Once I do a low pair, I'm going to play with my pattern to try to produce a mid-calf pair. I also plan to look into some regular cow hide and maybe some buffalo hide. I participate in Renaissance Faires, and could never have too many pairs of shoes to wear to faire!

Servus!

Living in Germany for 11+ years has advantages, like bilingualism. What would you like to know from the website?

After looking at that German site, I'm wanting to try my hand at some shoes like that. Does anyone know of a source for Rubber Soles, though?

http://www.sodhoppers.com/html/goop.html

I wouldn't buy period shoes made out of suede. My shoes are for wearing, not for tripping around Faire dressed like a princess, and get mucky and muddy. Suede would just get ruined.

Off topic: the guy at that link makes really nice moccasins...

You ain't lyin'.

I've got a set of his custom knee-highs that I've had for well over 10 years. Cost me a *very* pretty penny, but they're still as good as new after a *lot* of SCA events and Ren Faires. Coin well invested.

Skye

I have some 5-button boots from him, been fighting in them for a few years now, still awesome.

The link doesn't work... O.o