rfkoen

Tacsew T111-155 Needles?

We have a Tacsew T111-155 machine. We are sewing 2 layers of 2-3 oz leather. We bought #138 thread and #22 needles. The needles are way shorter than the original needles in the machine. Did we get the wrong needles, or is there a trick to using these needles with the machine? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Are you using 135x17 needles?

The needles we bought are 135X17, but they are a lot shorter than the needles that were with the machine when we bought it.

Is there an adjustment we need to make on the machine to use the 135X17 needles? They just look so much shorter than the needle in the machine now.

Your machine must be modified to use system 190 Pfaff needles. They are 3/16" longer than system 135x17. These needles are good, but bend and break more often if there is anything misaligned between the layers being sewn.

If all your work is properly aligned and secured, system 190 needles will allow you to exceed 3/8 inches of thickness sewn. But, since they bend and deflect so easily, make sure that the hook doesn't hit the needles as you sew.

Put one of the 135 needles in and check the needle timing to the hook, while spinning it by hand. The person that you got it from might have been trying to use the wrong needles.

I picked up a used Adler 167 and the person had 190 needles in it, it sewed fine forward but got totally messed up when it was reversed. After a few hours of internet searches I found out that it was the wrong needle and I simply had to readjust the timing for the 135 needled and it works like a champ.

Scott

Wow, this sounds similar to what is going on with my Pfaff 545, old machine but newly acquired. It's normal needle is the 190, but it came with 135x17 needles too. I wondered why. A friend came to help me and put a 190 needle in, dropped it down a bit in the needle bar (we did not move the needle bar though as I'm not sure how to do that yet) and the thing started making a stitch. So, there is hope for this Pfaf 545. I may not have to take it to the shop.

Just to be clear here;

From the factory,

Tacsew T111-155 takes a 135X17 (not a 135X7, shorter needle, but same shank, the part that goes up into the needle bar.

Durkopp Adler 167/267 series take 134-35 (not a 135X17).

Pfaff 145/545 take a 134-35, BUT take a 190R system needle for high lift machines, such as a 145-H4, or 545-H4.

You need to choose which needle system you will be using in your machine, then adjust the height of the needle bar to meet the hook at the correct amount of lift past BDC.

Gregg, regarding your comment about the Pfaff 545 H-4:

This info you gave is true, but not clear, because there is more to it than that. The Pfaff 545-H4 will take either the 190 needle or the 135x17 needle. I don't know about other machines, but this is the case with the Pfaff machine that I have.

Just to be clear here;

From the factory,

Pfaff 145/545 take a 134-35, BUT take a 190R system needle for high lift machines, such as a 145-H4, or 545-H4.

Edited by suzelle

Suzelle,

I'm only giving the systems, by the book, 'from the factory' specs. Pfaff would never from the factory send any 145, 545, or 1245 with a 135X17 system needle; only either 134-35, or a 190 system, depending on model or subclass.

Now, is this the 1st time I've ever heard of someone using a 135X17 in a Pfaff machine? No, it's not. But I would have to say, if I sent out a Pfaff new or reconditioned with a 135X17 needle, I would have a hard time explaining. It's kind of putting the wrong size tires on a car, but the car will still drive anyway. Doesn't make it right, but if it works for your, that's all that matters. You and many others may have been sewing on a 145 with 135X17 needles for 20 years with no problems, so doing things by the book so to speak is not always important.

That said, if I wanted to get a Pfaff machine back in order, and I was learning to make adjustments by using thier books, you can believe I would want the correct needle system; it's one less variable I have to worry about or compensate for.

Gregg,

Good info here, it is clear now. Thank you for explaining further. My Pfaff 545 is new to me, so I am learning all about it. I've been confused about why I got both the 190 system needles and the 135x17 needles with my machine. But previous owner passed away, so that answer wasn't given. However, a friend who owns a Pfaff 545 (standard lift) told me that although my machine was the High Lift, it would use the same needles he was using.

To get the right answer I had to call a couple sewing machine shops and was told that the machine could be adjusted for either. Got some feedback on forums too and seems it is true. Thank you for confirming that yourself, it does help.

I wanted to use 135x17 needles, as I am finding the longer needles to deflect and break more often. But as you mentioned, this can cause more "variables" and I have enough to learn and worry about already.

So, now I'm really wondering if this machine is for me. I'll work it out and make a decision to get it running right and use it, or trade it for something that makes more sense for what we need a machine for right now. Right now, we just need to sew the edges of vinyl banners with a machine that won't have an issue sewing them. I'm thinking that perhaps this Pfaff 545-High Lift is way too much machine for the job.

Thanks again!

Suz

Finally realized the machine did need 135X17 needles, and the leather needles I thought were that size were actually shorter. Once I got the leather needles in a 135X17 size it is sewing like a champ. Thanks to everyone for the help!