I was wondering which glue/cement would be best for watch straps, i have been using lock tite contact cement but i wonder if the leather specific stuff odes better.

maybe a few recommendations i could get from a hardware store , if not something tandy carries, if from tandy i would need to get it shipped so something i could get localy would be preferred.

I don't make watch straps but as a general leather working rule of thumb if I want a temprary bond to hold things together while I stitch, then I use latex. I get mine in the flooring section of the large hardware chain stores ( think carpet layers use it. If I want a more permanent bond I use contact cement. Again there are plenty of choices for contacts. Everyone has their favourites. I again use whatever if available at the hardware stores.

Barra

I was wondering which glue/cement would be best for watch straps, i have been using lock tite contact cement but i wonder if the leather specific stuff odes better.

maybe a few recommendations i could get from a hardware store , if not something tandy carries, if from tandy i would need to get it shipped so something i could get localy would be preferred.

I would use Fiebing's white glue. Tandy also has a white glue. I find it easier to put ample white glue onto one surface, then press the two sides together and wait thirty minutes before stitching. I find that the white glue holds better, and I end up using less of it, as I'm coating one side, not two. Coating two sides would amount to too much glue squeezing out the sides -- though I could think about doing lighter coats on both sides.

ed

The best stuff that I have found for small projects to glueing edges down until they can be sew is a product called Fabri-tac. It is a clear glue that comes in a 4 oz squeese bottle. You can buy in at Walmart in the craft section, or any other craft store like hobby lobby. It drys fast and holds very well. I use it to glue my lace when I splice it together and it will hold pulling lacing through the slits. I don't know what I would do without it.

Randy

in general i sew the pieces once glues but not always some straps look better without stiches , the contac cement has been working ok so far but its a pain to use , i may try the tandy leatherweld having a bottle to dispeense the glues seems less messy than the brushes.