smokeeater722

Cartridge Belts

I've got some questions for my learned breathren of the pounded hide. I want to build a solid, western style, carved cartridge belt ( which I've never done ). I'd like to know what weight of leather you'd use, how wide should it be, should it be lined, and should I start out using the Tandy strips or a belt blank? Thanks in advance to all the leather Jedis who lend their knowledge!

-Str8

If you have never done a cartridge belt you might start off getting Will "Ghormley's Cartridge Belt" pattern pack. It has several styles - Ranger, Scout, Tapered end and money belt. The pack can be bought on line or at Tandy. The pattern pack also gives instructions on how to do bullet loops. The pattern pack will save you a lot of time and agrevation for your first one. You can get it I believe between $10.00 and $15.00. You will find there are several ways to do cartridge loops woven, semi woven, sewn ( a couple of methods for sewn). If you are not going to use the pattern pack then I would go to cascity.com to the FAQ how to forum and look up how to do cartridge loops. That thread give spacing for several calibers including shot shells. It gives measurments for marking belt loop strip and on the belt spacing. Also if you do a search on leatherworker.net forum you will find a couple of thread discussing belt loops.

As to thickness of leather for a money belt style I use 4.5 oz folded in half, for other types Use no less then 8 oz, I would go a minimum of 10 oz if unlined. If I am making one that will be used to carry a gun as well as cartidges I usually use 10 - 12 0z with 3 - 4 oz lining. If you are going to by pre cut strips I would get them from Springfield leather they are cut from Herman Oak. Springfield also sells pre cut cartridge loop strips in different widths 52" long for $5.00. They are in their catalog not on line so you would have to call to order them.

Hope this helps, if you need additional info PM me. Iam sure others will chime in here shortly with their suggestions as well.

Scott

Edited by camano ridge

Wicked! Thanks for the quick reply!

There is a set of VHS tapes commissioned I think by Tandy, . . . using John Bianchi as the teacher, . . . showing you the proper method to follow if you want to make a gun belt of his style.

It is better than anything I've seen on youtube, . . . and goes into so many other things that I feel are necessary to produce a quality belt.

I do use the trick from Will Ghormley about lacing the cartridge loops through the belt, . . . I won't spend all that time sewing one, . . . when I can lace it in about 20 minutes, . . . and know that it will never come apart, . . . no stitches to break, . . . etc.

I understand there is now a DVD copy of that (heard thru the grapevine), . . . and if you can find it, . . . it will help to keep you from making some ugly mistakes, . . . or should I say, . . . at least it did me?

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you! Any idea what the name of this video is?

Before you do your belt do a dry run on some other pieces , you might even want to try different

methods to see which one you like the best , there are ups and down to each method. I think weaving works best but others like to stitch between each loop without weaving , also I like in and out of the same hole like catass recommends but others do a slot on each side of the cartridge . So do a few and see what works for you , I know it seems like a lot of work but you will be glad you did it in the long run . Just my 1.5 cents

Thanks again! How wide should I make this belt? I'm thinking about doing Ranger style buckle system so that'll be 1.5 inches, but the width of the body on the actual belt has me stuck

I would recomend 2 1/2" for the main belt body, however you have not said if this is for pistol or rifle calibers. Are you going to be carrying a holster on it as well? If it would be for rifle cartridges you may want to go 3".

Edited by camano ridge

Most of my western style cartridge belts are in the 2 1/2 range, . . . as it is a tad more comfortable than the 3".

Again, though, . . . the cartridge may dictate the width. For basic44's and 45's, . . . I'd do the 2 1/2.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Guys!

This will be for pistol caliber rounds and will carry a pseudo-western holster. I'm going to keep this more of a traditional belt/holster combo, so no drop/buscadero loop. Just a good, solid field rig.

Regards,

-Str8

For the seudo wester and good solid rig then I would got with the 2 1/2" main body for a ranger style. Looking forward to seeing pictures when done.

If you want to start out with an easier one, . . . take a look at this Clint Eastwood takeoff I did some time back.

The belt is especially simple to do, . . . makes a good first time cartridge belt, . . . gives you experience, . . . without a lot of hassle.

The belt is full width, 2 1/2 inches . . . but when you get to the tongue and buckle, . . . you cut the edges down, . . . use a 1 1/2 inch buckle.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-28113800-1380901380_thumb.jp

Edited by Dwight

I want to build a money belt style cartridge belt. I'm thinking 25 loops for 45 Colt and 6-8 loops for shotshells. Is that being too ambitious? I can compromise on the number of loops but the money belt style is part of the persona I'm trying to build. I've built a couple cartridge belts and holsters before but this would be another level comparatively speaking and I'd rather pick a few brains from some older, more experienced makers before I get down to it. 

Firstly, has anyone here used the Old West Collection cartridge belt pattern pack by Will Ghormly? That's what I have and plan to use but some of his instructions aren't exactly clear. I was hoping someone could clarify something. Secondly, I'm wanting the inside of the money belt to be able to hold coins up to the size of a Silver Dollar. I'm not the best at math so how wide a strap would I need to accommodate such a coin?

This is a picture of my money belt, . . . this one is a rough out leather belt, . . . since it is not curved to help keep it up, . . . the rough out takes over that job a bit.

It is all one piece for the belt itself, . . . only sewn at the top, . . . and should easily hold silver dollar size coins.

The buckle end has the usual treatment on the one end of it, . . . the other end goes down thru a 2 inch slot in the top and the bottom sections of the belt, . . . goes back under the belt and is fastened with the two snaps you see.  

Unless you have a pretty good size waist, . . . that many cartridges may get bunched quite a bit, . . . I'd probably do a shotshell slide if I wanted to take them with me for some reason.

This makes a pretty  belt, as well as a practical belt.

May God bless,

Dwight

money belt small.jpg

my brown rig.jpg

Hey Dwight what color is that its really nice!

That's Feibings British Tan, . . . probably my most used color.

I cut it 1 to 1 with Feibings thinner and dip dye all my projects.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks!!