Ran

Thinking Buying A Second Machine & Want Opinions

Folks, I currently have a CB4500 and love it. We have a second residence and I'm thus thinking seriously about buying another machine for those months that we spend away from our primary residence. I've also thought seriously about dismantling my CB4500 enough such that I can haul it to our other residence, but the thought of having a separate machine is sounding good to me. Obviously, I can save significant money going with a CB2500 (or equivalent), but will I be disappointed? I primarily build holsters and gun belts.

I have a Tecsew 3650 which is the same as the Cowboy 2500 and I can tell you for sure the it ain't no holster machine. It’ll do belts and pancake holsters but that’s it. My machine is for belts only so it suits my purposes but if I had to do holsters too it would be a 4500. or a Boss.

I have a Tecsew 3650 which is the same as the Cowboy 2500 and I can tell you for sure the it ain't no holster machine. It’ll do belts and pancake holsters but that’s it. My machine is for belts only so it suits my purposes but if I had to do holsters too it would be a 4500. or a Boss.

Pappy, why not holsters? Will the smaller machine not make sharp corners? Is it a speed thing? Please explain..

Until last March, I kept a Union Lockstitch at home and my CB4500 at my shop. There wasn't enough room in the shop for both anyway. The Union Lock is an awesome holster sewing machine, as is its big brother, the Campbell Randall Lockstitch. Home work ceased, so I sold it and bought two machines with the proceeds.

Pappy, why not holsters? Will the smaller machine not make sharp corners? Is it a speed thing? Please explain..

The problem with the 3650/2500 is it's difficult to get a folded holster close enough to the needle to sew up close and it doesn’t have enough presser foot lift to use a holster or stirrup adapter. It's fine for pancakes and belts and some mag carriers but it would not be my choice for and all around machine. Also I had to get a light presser foot spring from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines to ease up on the feed dog marks. Oh, and the feed dog is wide sticking out 3/8” to the out side of the needle and the needle plate sticks out 1 1/2” making it difficult to sew up close of folded holsters at the edge. It's a good machine but it ain't no holster machine.

Edit:

Oh yeah and that silly-a$$ed table blocks access to the end of the machine so you won’t be able to sew recessed ends on bags and archery quivers and such even if you shorten the needle plate. Dam good belt machine tho...

Edited by PappyUSA

Thanks folks. I guess I'll keep on the lookout for something that will work for me. Sound like I'll pass on the CB2500..

I would buy another stand, servo motor, thread stand, and speed reducer. Set it up at your other residence and just move the head.

I would buy another stand, servo motor, thread stand, and speed reducer. Set it up at your other residence and just move the head.

That's not a bad idea. Thanks for the thought, tnawrot..

That is a pretty good idea tnawrot2. Ran, another option would be a used 9 inch 441 clone from one of the dealers. I just bought a used Toro 3000 from Cobra Steve. Contact your favorite/closest dealer and see what they have in stock on used ones.

Paul

Hello Randy,I'm at the show in Wichita Falls,TX. & wanted to let you know we have a new model that we just got in yesterday that sews to 5/8" @ a great price if you want to give me a call next wed when I get back I can let you know more about it.

Hello Randy,I'm at the show in Wichita Falls,TX. & wanted to let you know we have a new model that we just got in yesterday that sews to 5/8" @ a great price if you want to give me a call next wed when I get back I can let you know more about it.

Yep, I'll give you a call next week, Bob. I appreciate all the ideas and thoughts, folks. This forum has been an invaluable tool for me...:).