Okay I'm doing fairly well on most aspects of my holsters but these darn belt slots are my nemesis. I've conceded that I want to opt for a belt slot punch for 1.5" x .25 (or whatever their sizes run). I was looking on Springfield Leather where I've been buying most of my stuff and it's hard to tell the sizes, or they just list 1.5" and have a couple to pick from. I'm not sure what the difference is.

Anybody have a link to a affordable quality punch, or part number?

These are the two listed, I can't figure out what the difference is, maybe manufacturer I guess.

http://springfieldleather.com/16316/Punch%2COblong%2C%23151%2C-1%22/

http://springfieldleather.com/16307/Punch%2COblong%2CHeavyDuty%2C-1%22/

Thanks

Michael

I bought my punch from Texas Custom Dies. I was very picky in my dimensions. I ordered 1 and 9/16ths by 5/16ths. The first punch they sent me was not the right size. I did get the correct punch on my second try.

They sent the original set up for punching with a clicker. I ordered just the punch and I welded a socket on the top end. The socket fits my shop press.

Best luck.

+ 1 on Texas Custom Dies. I got mine made to be hand struck with a mallet. Works great. .375 x 1.6".

$65 I think I paid, this year. I first bought one custom made from Weaver and it was completely dull. I paid to send it back for sharpening and it came back just as dull as it left. Total with twice shipping : close to $130. I've complained about that tool on this forum many times. Just trying to get my money's worth out of a tool I will never be able to use. I won't give Weaver a nickel of my money ever again, either.

My apologies I completely missed the Tool forum, I probably should have posted this there. I appreciate the replies from all, I may give Texas Dies a call.

While we're on the subject.... What is the most commonly used size for the belt slots on holsters? I've been doing mine between 1.25-1.5" simply because it fits my personal belt. I too have been shopping around for a punch because I'm tired of doing them with a hole punch and a straight edge.

I have one of the Springfield punches. It's a great punch, but it's not wide enough for a gun belt. I had to punch it twice. I went back to punching the top and bottom and bought a French Skivver in 1.5" to cut the middle.

I bought one from Texas Custom a few weeks ago to try. My first one was out of spec, and seeing how it was made I tightened my dimensions up for the remake so I could get exactly what I wanted. The second attempt was much better and it sure leaves a more professional look in a fraction of the time.

I use hole punches and carpenter's chisels of various withs to make slots. I think it really works well as a cheap alternative for us hobbyists, even though it requires four mallet strikes instead of one to make a hole. Even the cheapest chisels are plenty good to cut leather, which makes it affordable to build up a very flexible tool set.

I use a forstner bit backed by a piece wood and a chisel. It takes a bit longer than using a punch but they always come out perfect. I like to make them 3/8” thick and 1/8” - 1/4” longer than the width of the belt because I found that using a too tight of a slot leads to more squeaking.

I use hole punches and carpenter's chisels of various withs to make slots. I think it really works well as a cheap alternative for us hobbyists, even though it requires four mallet strikes instead of one to make a hole. Even the cheapest chisels are plenty good to cut leather, which makes it affordable to build up a very flexible tool set.

This is exactly what I do as well.

The black ones are the stuff that tandy sells. I hate to say this, but you should avoid them at all costs. I bought one from a local Tandy and the edge didn't hold up at all. The manager of the place told me that if I was going to do any kind of volume I needed to buy Osborne (which they didn't sell). I ended up buying most of my strap-end cutters and bag punches from Osborne. They're a few bucks more but the quality is much higher.

tk

Thanks for all the replies, I've came to the conclusion I just needed more practice and a sharper chisel. Sounds like it's hit or miss with some of the choices out there. I'm cutting them a little undersize and grinding them to where I want them.