Matt Alsaker

Do You Singe Your Thread Ends?

I generally stitch with a Cobra Class 4. I've always over-stitched or back-stitched to lock in the ends, then I've always melted or singed then ends. I'm not sure why I've always done it that way. I've seen plenty of makers do it both ways. I the last two months I've burned up two soldering irons (one inexpensive and one expensive). I'm trying to decide if there is a benefit to singing the ends before I sink more money into another soldering iron.

Use a lighter. Clip it close and wave the lighter close, takes about a half second. I do this when I remember and can find the lighter.

On hand stitching after back stitching , I pull both threads thorugh the back and cut them off close. On machine stitching, I do the same as Electrathon.

Bob

I use the C4 and do not like the looks of the back stitching. The doubled up stitches stand out. I don't think two back stitches is enough on some areas that receive a lot of stress. Any more stitches look worse.

I am pulling on the inside thread bringing the top thread through and tying a square knot. I have used super glue but it is difficult to not leave traces of the glue, especially on light leather.

I have not attempted the soldering iron but it seems as this would do away with at least half of the square knot and leather tension would separate the knot. I have read that some tie a knot and push it inside the hole. This would seem to work until tension is exerted and the knot will pop out on the side with more tension.

Am I missing something?

Edited by Red Cent

I don't think two back stitches is enough on some areas that receive a lot of stress. Any more stitches look worse.

Am I missing something?

If you have an area that is weak due to stress backstitching or knotting will not make it stronger. The backstitch is to keep it from unraveling, not gain strength. If the seam needs more strength that needs to be addressed through stitch length, thread size, double stitch seams and design changes.

" knotting will not make it stronger ". That sounds counter intuitive. Bear with me please. I attempt to plan my stitching so as to not end a line of stitch where tension will be placed. On a pancake holster, I try to start at the bottom and end at the bottom. Using "my" logic, pulling the top thread through the hole and tying the square knot does make this area strong.

Molding a holster after it is sewn causes stress in a lot of places. Not necessarily the "weak" places. After the leather dries, it is, of course, fairly solid. I can't get my head around the knot not making the area stronger. Or maybe I should say "keep the thread from coming loose". Hopefully, I will progress and be able to make clean double lines of stitches:).

My reference to it not being stronger is that stress will usually tear out the leather, not break the thread. Even the smallest thread is very hard to break. Very small thread can cheese slice the leather.

I totally agree with you that knotting can keep the thread from coming loose.

Now I understand. Thanks.

I'm new but I just used some flat braided thread and was really pleased to find my back stitching doesn't stand out at all with it and I go back 5-6 stitches . With twisted 3 ply I would look at the back stitch and it really showed but with the flat braided I can't really tell where it is