Miss KamiKaze

Singer 31-15

Hi there, I got this machine from someone who used to make leather purses. It came with no manual. I make some 'heavy' Nylon dog collars... Been using the machine for about 2months now, not one issues... Well recently when I go to tack the ends.. (which ive done 1000 times) * Yes its a new needle btw* the needle seems like it hits something and bends/breaks. Its never done this in the past... and I haven't changed my materials or anything. Use a size 20 needle. I ordered a new bobbin casing just for tries.

FicMMlq.jpg

Thanks so much for anyone who took the time to read/reply =)

Edited by Miss KamiKaze

Heres a vid. don't mind the noise, thats only my phone being weird..not the machine. Brand new needle btw. re threaded, newly winded bobbin, oiled.... and it only seems to happen when Im goin through 4. Which it has does more completely fine for the past 2 months. Edited by Miss KamiKaze

Since I'm not out there in the bikeshop sewing my son's coveralls up with my Singer 31-15, I might as well try to help you with your problem.

First thing that I would do, is remove the bobbin case, take the bobbin and thread out of the case, and put it all back together again making sure it's threaded correctly, and then put the bobbin case back onto the machine, making sure it's installed correctly. Sounds to me like your BC is not latched in properly.

Second, put in a new needle, even if you've just done that.

Take the upper thread completely out of the thread guides, and then rethread the upper part of the machine again.

Test sew by hand turning the wheel, and keep going for a while even if it seems to sew without the needle hitting anything.

CD in Oklahoma

I have another suggestion, which I myself have followed. Your needles are bending and breaking due to deflection from multiple layers, which causes the needle to miss the hole and hit the solid steel plate. Changing the original throat plate and feed dog to a heavy duty set may cure the problem! These are usually sold as a two piece matched set of an oversize feed dog and matching throat plate. The important thing you'll be interested in is that the needle hole is larger in this heavy set than in the standard or medium duty sets. You can use a #22 needle with the heavy set, which means more wiggle room for your #20 before the deflected needle hits the throat plate.

As suggested by the previous poster, check the lateral clearance betwixt your needle and the hook.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Thank You Guys so much for your time/advice! Im going to search on eBay for the heavier feed dog / throat plate! I didn't know about that!!

I will be trying again and making sure the bobbin casing is snapped in tightly. I did notice that the casing never really makes the 'snap' locating sound as my other machine did. Hopefully the new casing will!!

Again thank you two very much for your help!! Knowlwdge is power and Im just a noob. haha. :)) <3 many thanks!

-K

You can get too much bulk under the needle for the needle to penetrate on a Singer 31-15, even though the foot raises high enough for it to fit under the presser bar. I did it a couple of times yesterday while sewing on insulated duck overalls that I'm removing the full-length zippers in the sides and sewing the legs shut from the knee up. I was using Tex90 UV-resistant thread in a size 18 needle. On the bottom hem of the leg where all of the various layers with all of their turn-unders come together at the corner, I got a "thunk" a couple of times when it was simply too thick to penetrate. I always hand-crank the machine when I'm sewing those areas, mainly because it's hard for the roller wheel to crawl up on those lumps, and I'm sewing with a treadle. Sometimes I can rock the wheel back and forth a few times to get the needle through, but other times it just won't go. It sounds and feels like the needle is hitting something solid, but it's not going through even to the needle plate. There is enough material to stop the needle.

If you've been going back to tack the preceding stitch line, you may be getting the same problem. Are you using a different brand of webbing than you had been using before? Maybe with a tighter weave? Have you sized your needle or thread up from before? The larger the needle, the more this will happen. Use the smallest needle that you can for the thread size that you're using.

When you get onto thick woven stuff, using a large needle and thick thread, you may run into this from time to time in my experience.

CD in Oklahoma

You can get too much bulk under the needle for the needle to penetrate on a Singer 31-15, even though the foot raises high enough for it to fit under the presser bar. I did it a couple of times yesterday while sewing on insulated duck overalls that I'm removing the full-length zippers in the sides and sewing the legs shut from the knee up. I was using Tex90 UV-resistant thread in a size 18 needle. On the bottom hem of the leg where all of the various layers with all of their turn-unders come together at the corner, I got a "thunk" a couple of times when it was simply too thick to penetrate. I always hand-crank the machine when I'm sewing those areas, mainly because it's hard for the roller wheel to crawl up on those lumps, and I'm sewing with a treadle. Sometimes I can rock the wheel back and forth a few times to get the needle through, but other times it just won't go. It sounds and feels like the needle is hitting something solid, but it's not going through even to the needle plate. There is enough material to stop the needle.

If you've been going back to tack the preceding stitch line, you may be getting the same problem. Are you using a different brand of webbing than you had been using before? Maybe with a tighter weave? Have you sized your needle or thread up from before? The larger the needle, the more this will happen. Use the smallest needle that you can for the thread size that you're using.

When you get onto thick woven stuff, using a large needle and thick thread, you may run into this from time to time in my experience.

CD in Oklahoma

Word this work??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-31-15-Heavy-duty-Needle-Plate-Feed-Dog-143169-149165-/280907843365?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4167698725

Yep, that's the set I bought. The teeth are very wide and aggressive. The needle hole is as large enough to pass a #25 needle. It is definitely a very heavy duty feeder set.

I know this is off topic but since there are 31-15 users I thought someone here could help.

My Singer 31-15 keeps breaking the thread when I sew leather but does ok when I sew heaver cloth. I have had the bobbin case, feed dogs and still the problem continues.

I am wanting to put a servo motor and reducer wheel to slow the machine down and maybe that will fix the problem.

Any idea? and Which motor and wheel should I use?

Oh I forgot. I am using #16 leather needle and #46 Bonded nylon thread.

Yep, that's the set I bought. The teeth are very wide and aggressive. The needle hole is as large enough to pass a #25 needle. It is definitely a very heavy duty feeder set.

Thank You.

I hope it fixes my issue!

Not sure what's goin on. Especially since I've been doin the same thing for 2 months!!!

Just got my new bobbin casing in and it snaps in now , so that's a step up :D

I'll check in after the feed dog/ needle plate to give my results!!!

Thanks again for ur help!!

I know this is off topic but since there are 31-15 users I thought someone here could help.

My Singer 31-15 keeps breaking the thread when I sew leather but does ok when I sew heaver cloth. I have had the bobbin case, feed dogs and still the problem continues.

I am wanting to put a servo motor and reducer wheel to slow the machine down and maybe that will fix the problem.

Any idea? and Which motor and wheel should I use?

Oh I forgot. I am using #16 leather needle and #46 Bonded nylon thread.

Not really sure? Perhaps change ur tension? Im sure someone else will chime in

Hi, I got my set in the mail today. Did u have to alter urs at all? the feed dog is a TID big on the front right. I could prob use a dremal on the corner of the new feed dog. But was curious how urs fit since u got the same set. I already took it off for the day, but I'll post a vid of it being held there to show u where it's hitting.

My heavy duty set fits perfectly. No problems at all. Maybe you got a mismatched set.

It will take me a while to locate the receipt at home. I bought it at least a year ago, if not longer.

It will take me a while to locate the receipt at home. I bought it at least a year ago, if not longer.

Okay, don't go through too much trouble. I can't seem to find many others online.

If anyone else knows of a place that they would trust to get the heavy duty set, please send me a link... I'm in real need of getting this fixed!!! =)) Thanks much for your time and any efforts put in!!!

Edited by Miss KamiKaze

Could u perhaps send me a link of the EXACT one u bought? I tried to modify lol but it didn't work. ;))

Finally found the 2012 invoice for the heavy duty throat plate and feed dog I bought for my Singer 31-15. Here are the same items from the same seller.

I cannot predict if the quality has changed or not, since January 2012.

Man that looks just like the one I had just bought! Im assuming that all 31-15's are similar correct? regardless the year they were made?

'

Thanks again soo much for your time regarding this issue! So very kind of you to take your personal time to look at that for me!!!Much appreciation!! <3

That throat plate and doggie are used on many brands of straight stitch machines, not just Singer.

You may have to move the lateral position of the feed dog, and/or the moving mounting bracket, to get the teeth to line up inside the throat plate slots. A large, flat head screwdriver is needed to loosen the screw that locks down the feeder platform. It is shaped like the open jaws of a plumbers' wrench. It is accessed by tilting the head back all the way onto the table. The adjuster screw is on the left side of the bottom of the machine.

When installing a new feed dog & plate,leave the 2 feed dog screws loose & put the plate on then you can tighten the screws & it should line up.

Ok,now I see what's wrong,you need to move the bar that the feed dog fastens to back,loosen the screw that the screwdriver is pointing to in this pic & push the bar back so it doesn't hit .

post-7185-0-51419700-1383851539_thumb.jp

Well, I figured there is no reason for me to make another thread about the same machine... So.. I'll just ask it here.

I've noticed that my leather belt has been slippin. Anyone have any good places to get a new one? I searched online all I see are 15" ones.. and My belt looks wayyy bigger then 15".

I was curious if anyone uses a 'rubber' type belt... (as I was trying to find more information on the size/type belt that I'd need.. I was pretty much only finding rubber type belts).

I think its around 1940s Style Singer 31-15. Been noticing a lot of random stitches slippin for some time.. and just few nights ago I noticed the belt. Any guidance/thoughts is welcome!