Stewart

Stuff For Crafts Fair

It is strange that none of the Bible stuff got a look especially for being at a Church. There are so many "fakers" and "fly-by-nighters" marketing all of that foreign stuff or who are pretending to be an outlet for wholesale stuff (garbage more correctly) that it is difficult to try and introduce a new novelty item such as the baseballs. You will find that no matter what type of event crowd a market/fair may be directed towards or regardless of where the venue is that there is no fast and true method of determining what is going to sell. I have spent hours putting together a biker related line of products to have, in addition to my normal layout, in support of a biker's event and not one darn biker item sold. Had no issues moving anything else but not the biker stuff. A couple of weeks later I was participating in a local celebration (this is an annual event) for one of the historical mining towns in my area and moved just about every piece of the biker stuff that I had made for the other event. And the funniest thing of all was that none of the buyers were bikers nor were they buying for anyone who was.

Guess if we ever were to figure out how to forecast what will sell based on location and targeted attendance we would be making way too much money to be doing any of this stuff ourselves.

There is a lot of good info here and I'd like to add some more. I work at the same farmer's market all summer, today is my last one of the year. Our motto is 'if you don't make it, bake it or grow it, don't bring it.' So having been an ongoing market for years most people know that and don't think it's fake crap from China. I know a vendor who was going to be the only LW at a big show (not around here) and was told he'd better cram his booth since he was the only LW vendor. He did with Chinese purses and sold them as his own. When he told me that I was actually sick. That's one of the reasons we have to fight and claw for every dime we make.

I have a Christmas show next month and this year I'll take my inventory I already have built up and I will make several key chains and this year I'd like to have some magnets with little Christmas objects on the magnetic tape like stockings and doves and santa etc. Last year at this show I sold nothing but key chains and an art piece. I charge 5 bucks for my key chains because I wet the conchos I have for them, and stamp VT on them, then grab some dyes and do them in several colors. My other stuff I take will just be to fill up the booth nice but it didn't sell last year. I have a lot of 10.00 bracelets and will make some more easy ones so to keep the price down. That will be the three things I expect to sell mostly. The other suggestions given here about folding furniture etc. really comes in handy. Oh and the little simple CC holders with designs stamped on them.

I didn't get any custom orders last year but I usually do one a week or two at the farmer's market. I agree, especially this time of year go for the small impulse buys that are still nice that people can give for gifts.

You folks forgot one important thing. No matter what, have fun :)

Back from the FM, last one. And I have an order for a custom 140.00 belt, yehaw