I'm experimenting with different finishes, and keep reading about the use of 50/50 Mop & Glo and water. I bought the only one I can find in stores here, I hope it's the right one: it's a blue bottle that says Triple Action, and under it "floor shine cleaner, for regular & no wax floors".

Is this the right stuff? Or was I supposed to get something that is just an acrylic polish and isn't meant to have a cleaning function as well?

From the old grumpy guy; you have the correct stuff. I learned about it when I ran out of Tandy's Neat Sheen and saw that it looked a bunch like Tandy's stuff. After experimentation and a bit of reading I began to use it instead of the sheen stuff. That was over 30 years ago. Haven't looked back since. Mike

Hey Mike,

The only one I can find here has a citrus scent. Is that the correct one? And if so, does the scent go away?

Jack

Jack, I had to go look, but yes, my jug says 'fresh lemon scent' -- I don't really notice it when applying it, and there isn't any scent that I notice after the stuff is dry. Mike

Thanks a ton Mike. I've heard so much about it I'm gonna give it a shot.

Thanks so much for replying! I'm glad I bought the right stuff, now I can give it a try.

I know this thread is a few years old, but the only  Mop & Glo I found was the One Step.  Is that ok?

Edited by JenGranger

42 minutes ago, JenGranger said:

I know this thread is a few years and old, but the only  Mop & Glo I found was the One Step.  Is that ok?

It has worked for me so far. Just make sure you cut it 50/50 with water.

Thanks!

I was wondering just how do you apply the Mop-n-Glo? Brush, spray, dauber?  I have tried a couple of different spray bottles and it just gets clogged after a couple of sprays, and it is a 50/50 mix.  Thanks for your help.

Paul

I'm going to apply it with a sponge.

Why do you cut it? I've been using it full strength with a brush as a resist. It works ok, if I am patient enough to apply a few coats... and wait overnight. When I'm not patient enough, it doesn't work so good. I found that out with some interesting results.

I'm glad to know it works as a resist.  I was wondering if it did.

Minwax now sells a water based laqure.  I use it as a resist.  I think it is comparable to neat lac. 

Have you tried painting acrylic over the minwax? Does it hold up to bending? Any  info appreciated.

Mop & Glo on leather isn't, and shouldn't be, your first choice for a finish.  I recall the days when I was in the Army and there were always these guys that had to have the shiniest boots on the ground.  Most of us would do the spit shine routine for those special days but being in combat arms it isn't typical to have a mirror like gloss on your combat boots, it just doesn't fit the job.  But, as stated a bit ago, there were some who thought that it would make them "stand out" more so they would get that super high gloss spit shine and then finish it off with Mop & Glo.  I can tell you from 24 years of that life and experience that once you pressed your finger down on the toe cap of that highly shined boot all you would see was a grayish spider web effect from the Mop & Glo cracking.  It is not meant to be used on leather, nor has it ever been meant to; it is a floor finish and intended to be used on hard surfaces.  If an item needs to have that much shine to it there are sources for leather that already has that finish to it.  Not to mention, the chemicals that are contained within Mop & Glo and other finishes that are designed for products other than leather can damage the leather and potentially lead to failure of the leather down the road.

For those who have used the Neat-Lac product of the past and wish to return/continue to use it, the same product is available from Springfield Leather but it is just under another name.  What they sell is in fact the original Neat-Lac and it is still made by the very same company who has been making it all along.  When Tandy let the Neat-Lac product run out and disappear I went on a mission to find its replacement, that is when I ran across the original product and have continued to use it all along.  And, even though it does contain chemicals, everything in the mix is specifically intended for use on fine leather and fine leather goods; it is also oil/conditioner heavy which is why you don't see it cracking when you flex it.