RogerNixon

Awl Haft Design

In a recent thread, there was a picture of Will Ghormley's sewing setup. It appears he uses the Osborne No 143 awl haft.

Haft-143.jpg

As a noob leather worker, I'd like to know what haft designs you experienced folks prefer. I have some collets like this haft uses and I have a wood working lathe so I can make out pretty much any style.

I like a haft that has at least one straight side to it so that A) it doesn't roll off the workbench, and B) I can use the feel of the straight side to orient where the blade is pointed.

I agree. I now make my chisel handles in tapered octagons for those reasons and they are very comfortable as well. I was kinda thinking about making some awl hafts in that style. The one below is made of Osage Orange.

handle.jpg

I bought a tool box at an auction and it had six awls in it. The handles look like the Osborne 145 haft but they are made of black plastic. From the other stuff in there, I think they may have been Navy issued.

That #143 is made to be struck by a hammer or maul, vis., the leather pad on the end.

I have found that my favorite awl haft is the Osborne #142, "Palm Awl Haft:" http://www.csosborne.com/no142.htm

I actually prefer that #142 in certain applications over my Barry King haft, which is a work of art. The reason is the narrow width of the neck of the haft close to the collet coupled with the narrow tapering collet itself. I make lots of wet-formed pouches where I need to get very close to the side of the formed top in order to stitch it to the flat bottom piece. If you look at that #143, that plain wouldn't happen. Not even with my cherished King model as its collet is a bit bigger than the Osborne one. With that #142 Palm haft, the neck of the haft is very narrow, and the actual collet is nicely tapered as well (as it is with the #143; they're the same collets) allowing me to get into tight spots. Functionally, the size and shape of the Palm haft is near perfect for my hand. Easy and comfortable to use.

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit

Thanks, Michelle. That is a design point I hadn't considered. Do you push the awl with the palm of your hand or do you grip the length of the handle?

I see you do harmonica accessories, do you have any pix?

Roger, that's one of the reasons I like the Palm haft. My fingers are kept pretty busy juggling the needle. The Palm haft fits nicely in the palm of my hand so my fingers can concentrate on the needle until I'm ready to make a puncture. Then yes, my fingers guide the haft but it's the palm of my hand that applies the pressure. That way I am free to release the haft with my fingers knowing that it will just fall back into my palm.

And thanks for asking, yes you can see my work at my web site, http://silverwingleather.com/gallery/

The wet molded cases I mentioned are in the "Single Diatonic Cases" section.

Thanks,

Michelle

Those look great, Michelle.

Thanks, Roger!

Michelle

I was wondering where you got the collets? I am really much more of a wood worker and would like to make my own handles.

Thank you,

this /\ /\

i've wondered where to get some, too. i'm guessing a woodworking tool catalog?

I went back and looked at mine. They were some Arrow #2 awls (no longer made) and were marked USN so I'm thinking they were US Navy issue.

Here is a picture of one

:awl2.jpg

Here is a picture of a scratch awl I made with one of the collets. The handle is African mahogany

awlwood1__small_.jpg

soooo......roger. being a woodworker, you could probably make an awl haft or two in the form of the osborne #142....if a forum member wanted to buy them off of you?

I could, but I don't have a source for the collets and I couldn't be cost competitive with the Osbornes or the Barry King's either. :no:

Ok, well since he doesn't feel like doing it, try this guy...

http://www.blujay.co...ername=Chairman

I bought a scratch awl from him and if that's any indication, it'll end up being a lot nicer than his anyway...

He said he was working on a smaller design soon also...

Edited by TXAG

I bought a scratch awl from him and if that's any indication, it'll end up being a lot nicer than his anyway...

WOW- Do you wake up nasty or do you get going throughout the day!

I don't believe that I have ever seen a nice or encouraging post from you on this forum.

Do you even do leatherwork of some kind?

WOW- Do you wake up nasty or do you get going throughout the day!

WTF do you think you are?? I don't have to answer to you.

I guess I'll lie about the scratch awl I got and say it sucked. Would that makes thou happy then, king peter?

I don't believe that I have ever seen a nice or encouraging post from you on this forum.

Then you are not very observant because they're there.

Do you even do leatherwork of some kind?

Yep. Probably better than you in some aspects.

Oh, and don't get mad -- remember, you're the one thast came in here trying to pick a fight with me here...

TXAG,

Why don't you pick up your bag of marbles and go find another playground to play on. I agree with Pete. I have never seen one useful bit of info from you other than telling people they should use the search button rather than asking the question. Exchange of information is the whole idea on this forum, and intimidating some new person by implying they are some kind of dummy because they didn't search before they asked. You also really good at bad mouthing suppliers that a lot of use and will continue to do so in spite of you. I had a problem with Springfield not to long ago, but they took care of it. They are only human like the rest of us. Leatherworker Net is a great source of information and exchanging ideas. It was great way before you showed up and will continue to be long after you are gone.

Terry

I think it's cute how you think I care what you think about me. :)

Also, I will continue to tell folks to search when they ask questions that have been asked several hundred times and when they post "what leather should I use?" without any additional info. That's common courtesy on any forum. I always try to search first before I post...I don't get why that's so difficult for others to do.

And if you think I haven't posted any useful/helpful posts, you also are not very observant because they're there...or maybe you just want to see only what you want to see, huh?

Edited by TXAG

I could, but I don't have a source for the collets and I couldn't be cost competitive with the Osbornes or the Barry King's either. :no:

ok...well i appreciate your candor.

Here's my Bob Douglas...I push on it with the heel of my hand, and NEVER set it down on anything flat.

I don't use it as much anymore now that I have a machine, but it's my most prized tool in the shop.Picture 493.jpg

post-4803-0-09602900-1391549094_thumb.jp

That is very nice. I hope everyone realizes I'm just saying I can't compete with those who make these on a commercial basis.

In case anyone is interested, I found out Arrow awl hafts are still around. I thought it was the Arrow company that makes staplers but it is from a company that uses USM (not USN) as a logo. Here is a pdf of their awl hafts. http://www.unitedglobalsupply.com/assets/images/full_pages/tools-6.jpg