Hello!

I am looking for someone to help mentor me either one on one of via pictures and email, I have searched high and low in Central Oregon and have been turned down by the few people I have asked if they would consider giving me a lesson or two to improve my skills.

I am completely self taught with the help of Tandy videos, books, and YouTube. I have attached an example of my work here. To me it is starting to look very good, but as I am a perfectionist, I would really really appreciate help and advice from someone who is in the leather industry professionally.

My main focus is on horse tack, spur straps, maybe a purse or two. I am not very creative so drawing my own patterns is hard for me but I am starting to get a little better in that regard! Any help would be amazing from drawing patterns, choosing leather for my projects, casing and tooling, managing and selling my work, or anything really!

I know I need work on casing and when to start making swivel knife cuts and carving, making my swivel knife cuts flow as well as bevelling evenly, I have been working on "walking" the tool around my design, and appropriate use of other various tools. My designs always look better after I have dyed or finished them than when they do natural with just the tooling.

I would love to someday make a custom saddle, even if that is the only one I ever make :)

I realize that this takes time from your day that you could be making money, however, it is such a priviledge to learn from someone who is excellent at what they do, I would love the opportunity and I am very willing to put in the work that it takes to better my skills.

Thanks so much!

Christina

post-37831-0-93565500-1385057035_thumb.j

post-37831-0-88551200-1385057038_thumb.j

I recomend you go tot he Bob Beard class in Eugene, dec 13-15. You will learn a LOT, and will be around other leather workers that can coach you and answer questions.

Thank you very much for the suggestion, I had seen that class, however I am not in Oregon those days as I will be on a business trip unfortunately.

Even if you can't make the class I'd suggest getting ahold of the Emerald Valley Leathercrafters Guild (if I recall they are the ones bringing Bob to Eugene). We've done classes with a couple of the folks from that group and they would probably be a good resource for assisting with refining your leather skills.

Horn