boilernspector

Singer 29K51 Info Wanted, Keep It Or Junk It?

I purchased a Singer 29K51 but haven't located a really good manual on operation,maintainance,parts or specs on what this machine can actually sew or thread size to use. Does someone have a link where I can buy a manual described above? Maybe someone can tell me if this machine is worth using or should I use it as a paper weight and purchase an electric leather sewing machine? :dunno:

I'm a novice leathercrafter, making belts,wallets,checkbooks for now, I do plan on making motorcycle seats, chaps and asscessories later on and repairing horse tack, maybe harness rigging but no saddle work.

It looks like the Techsew 2700 would be the perfect all around machine, but to expensive for this novice What other used machines would qualify equally or close to the Techsew 2700 for around $800-$1000 ??

I did read all the info posted by Wizcraft on leather machines. Very interesting and informative.

post-47125-0-15610400-1385353542_thumb.j

Edited by boilernspector

HI, a Google search will bring up plenty of 29K manuals, they wont tell you how to sew with it though or what it can do. Basically its a shoe patcher for mending shoe uppers. Its not a general leather work sewing machine.

Okay, thanks, shoe patcher.....thats good to know.

I use my patcher for sewing patches onto vests and jacket sleeves. It is perfect for fixing straps on sandals, ladies pumps and purses, as well as sewing pull tabs onto boots. It can sew in any direction and has a small snout, with an equally small bobbin.

I limit my patcher to using #69 bonded nylon in the bobbin, which extends the life span and allows more items to be sewn

You need to clean that machine, paint it and oil/grease it.

The 29K51 is the one that has small little gears in it that haven't been made for over 30 yrs,if they break you'll have to find another nachine for parts.It was made to sew 1/4" thick although some people have sewn thicker it'll just put more stress on the gears.

Thanks Bob for the info, if you have a used electric leather machine that would work for my projects mentioned in my main post,@$800 or less , please contact me. boilernspector@yahoo.com

Thanks Wizcraft for your input, I'll get that baby cleaned up asap.

The 29K51 timing was off, that issue has been repaired by a local sewing machine shop in Peoria,IL. Cleaning and repair was $130.00. No parts were replaced. I think $130.00 was on the high side.

It depends how dirty your machine was ;). The 29K is quite easy to adjust. You should have asked here in the forum before.

You can download a manual here:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=57862&p=372012

Not exactly the same machine but the basics are pretty much the same.

I'm a novice leathercrafter, making belts,wallets,checkbooks for now, I do plan on making motorcycle seats, chaps and asscessories later on and repairing horse tack, maybe harness rigging but no saddle work.

It looks like the Techsew 2700 would be the perfect all around machine, but to expensive for this novice What other used machines would qualify equally or close to the Techsew 2700 for around $800-$1000 ??

For what you're sewing, the 2700 would be a great machine but we do have some other options. Take a look at the 0302 or 106. We may also have some used machines available if you want to give us a call.

Thanks!

Ron