BIS Leads

Precut Kangaroo Lace Problem

I have been buying premade kangaroo lace and making show dog leads.

My problem as I am trying to keep improving, is that the lace isn't the same thickness. Sometiimes it is wonderful and braids easily, and some parts or spools are really thick and hard - like braiding cardboard.

My question, is there a way to split the premade lace? Any help is appreciated!

Barb

Yep...same way you split lace you cut yourself...

I have some really crappy roo lace I bought from Springfield and one color is about twice as thick as the other I got from them, so I have to split it before I can braid it with the other stuff I got from them.

There are several splitters to choose from, depending on your budget and all. I use an Osborne #86 lately and it works great. Some other tools combine a splitter with a cutter and beveler...those are pretty expensive, but are nice because you can do all three tasks with one tool.

Edited by TXAG

That is exactly the problem I am having with Springfield's roo lace. But, OUCH! that Osbourne is expensive!

Do you think this is simmilar and would work as well? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cowboy-Neels-Leather-Skiver-Machine-Splitter-Combo-2-TOOLS-AMAZING-PRICE-/271326902606?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2c57f94e

BTW, can you explain what a skiver is? and how that is different from a beveler or splitter?

Paul Nolan of www.midwestwhips.com has or offers a Dene Williams Hand Splitter. It is $165.00 but temporarily out of stock. I have one of these and they are great. Look at the picture and you might be able to get someone to build you something similar or check with Paul on when he will have more available. The is probably the "bang for the buck" you will find for a splitter.

The osborne style splitter is nice but overkill for lace. The Dene Williams is a great splitter for lace. You dont need anything more and has the added advantage of using disposable blades. If you want to rig up a homemade jobber for almost nothing, Youtube leather splitter.

The difference between a splitter and skiver as in the link you posted is splitting keeps the leather the same thickness through out the cut. Lap skiving is designed to taper the cut so the leather blends into itself better when folding, Such as belts for the buckle fold.

Beveling is paring the edge of the strand so it lays smoother next to another strand.

On a side note: Some people have luck using a lace cutter such as the Lace Master or cheaper Yknot lace cutter to split lace by turning the lace sideways. It never worked for me though.

Well. That's the thing with pre-cut kangaroo lace. Sometimes that card board feeling comes from the lace sitting on the shelf too long. Before you cut that stuff you should try to bring it back to life with some hide cream. Let that sit awhile and then try to split it. You might find that it works a bit better that way. I started buying my own hides years ago and cutting my own lace because of that. Once I did that, I never returned to spool lace.

Brian...

Lace Master would work well for making lace and has a small splitter ideal for lace.

The Dene Williams looks great and reasonable. Hope it will be in stock soon.

Meanwhile I might try making my own. Hope I don't slice a finger off trying Ha! Ha!

Thanks for all the help.

Well. That's the thing with pre-cut kangaroo lace. Sometimes that card board feeling comes from the lace sitting on the shelf too long. Before you cut that stuff you should try to bring it back to life with some hide cream. Let that sit awhile and then try to split it. You might find that it works a bit better that way. I started buying my own hides years ago and cutting my own lace because of that. Once I did that, I never returned to spool lace.

Brian...

I use Bick 4 on the roo before braiding. Is there a particular hide cream you'd recommend?

I've been reading about keeping humidity in the leather, how do you store your lace so it doesn't dry out?

Brian, I tried soaping this roo lace thoroughly, but all it did was make it slippery and still felt like cardboard.

Also, as slowly as Springfield ships, I can order from my guy in Australia and have the lace here...sometimes faster than Springfield can even bother to get it into the mail. I won't be ordering from them anymore. Cuts out a big supplier, I know...but it's not worth the aggravation to me...

Edited by TXAG

Wow, I never had any problem with Springfield shipping, they're usually pretty fast when I order something. Sorry you had bad luck. If a color is particularly stiff, I used Lexol on it, didn't braid it when real wet.

Edited by Tracym

I know that this may not be an ideal solution to skiving lace for a beginner, but this is how I've done it since cutting my own lace with the tandy cutter (as shown and used in the photo for cutting and skiving).

In the photo, I am using veg tan as the example but have used it on roo as well. I guess it does take practise to get used to it and it cannot be adjusted for different thicknesses, but at £12.00 a throw these cutters arn't expensive.

As seen in the photo, you just cut off the plastic bit between two of the gaps, file down slightly - you could leave it as that but I glued on an old blade to give a firm base - you will also need to skive the end of the lace to first feet it through, then just place in a vice or something and pull whil feeding the lace into it.

Oh ye, should add that this is fine for narrow lace to 5mm and lace that is thin to start with, but these blades are not to strong and may bend - if that happens I have filed the gap that the blade goes into to fit in a slightly thicker one, like a shaving blade or other such small blades.

post-182-0-77283500-1385811291_thumb.jpg

Edited by troy

Check youtube. There are a bunch of videos for making your own lace skivers and bevellers for next to nothing.

If your interested in the Dene Williams splitter, I would e mail Midwest whips. They have a waiting list going. Buck

I talked to Paul at Mid West Whips last week and he said the Dene Williams tools should be in very soon.