Wanderinstar

Handmade Shoes

I am going to make myself some shoes. Has anyone on here done it. If how difficult was it. I have watched Andrew Wrigley's videos on You tube and it looks do able. Anyone got any tips or comments.

Ian.

Are you planning to hand stitch everything, or machine stitch?

I've been thinking about trying to make myself a pair of slippers with machine.

CD in Oklahoma

Well you certainley have enough machines. I intend doing it all by hand. If I'm not careful the machine runs away with me. Have already made 5 pair of moccasins.

Knowing me, I'll probably pick a handsewn style to make.....

CD in Oklahoma

I was a cobblers apprentice years back - the guy I worked for did orthopedics and custom shoes for those with disabilities and / or deformed feet. There is alot to it but in the end it's pretty simple. For best results you will need a last of both feet to build on. Meaning you will need to find a pre-made last of the proper size and style (or modify one) or build your own last. If memory serves me Ruby Leather has shoemaker supplies ? you'll need some casting foam and plaster of paris to make a mold / last of your foot. from there it's pretty simple, go to the thrift store and buy a pair of well built shoes and cut them apart to see how they are constructed. Something else is to find a local "real" shoe repair shop (are there any left?) and ask if they can assist - if you are doing a sew on sole, you'll need someone to sew it on for you. Good luck !

I am a shoe maker / leather craftsmen.

Hank the dog said it best. I would like to reinforce what he said about leather soles. Even industrial lock stitchers like the Juki or Juki clones can not sew the welt to leather. You need an outsole stitcher that uses a curved awl and hook. It even carves a path so the stitching lays flush with sole or better ones under surface of leather.

If you have any question I'll walk you through it. But your first step is a last.

Shoe making is a lot harder than leather craft. Also because there is an architecture to it.

I'd love to try my hand at shoes...later, much later. There is a shoe section on the forum. I found this site for last when I was looking into it http://www.shoedo.com/newmoremenslasts.html.

Hi every one

I'm new bie , I don't know about square fit . How square fit leather should I need to handmade my shoes size 7.5 UK ( I want to make shell cordovan oxford shoes ) .

Howreen sell each 2.5 Sq Ft , 2.25 Sq Ft , 1.87 Sq Ft , 1.62 Sq Ft .

Thank you every one

2.5 square feet is 2322 square cm. There 929 square centimeters to a square ft, approximately.

I do not know how much is needed, but since shell cordovan comes in small pieces, expect to have more waste. You may want to buy a used pair of shoes your size and disassemble them to get an idea of the required quantities.

Someone asked about shoe repair supply stores. There is one in Indiana, called Landwerlen Leather Co., that has no minimum order and carries nearly anything that would be needed. Full disclosure: I work there. There are not many such stores still in business.