Widget

Swivel Knife Vs. Leather Quality

Hey all, not sure where to put this, so I put it in the section listed "Not sure where to post...." :-)

I've been at this for about a year now...slowing starting to move from kits and such to cutting my own stuff...deciding what I like to make, etc. etc.

I enjoy very much the western floral style carving (even though I'm still not that good at it). But I am frequently frustrated by the accuracy of my knife work, especially at the end when doing decorative cuts—I find it hard to control the blade when adding cuts to burnished areas...pear shades, etc.)

I'm using the swivel knife that came with my beginner Tandy kit from last Christmas and using up the last of my Tandy kits.

As I decide which tools to upgrade in which order...which is the more "important" tool in accurate carving (I understand the practice side is first and foremost), the quality of the knife or the leather?

I'm debating a Barry King swivel knife but want to make sure the investment (even tho it's only $45) is worth it at my current skill level.

Hope that makes sense, and thanks for the advice....

-Brian

After reading your post. I believe it can be put in three words. A sharp blade, good leather and a lot of practice. More energy has to be placed on the latter part of this post. With practice come precision. If you cannot control the swivel knife, you will not be able to control the cut and flow.

Ditto Kings X, BUT, you gotta get rid of that kit knife if it's anything like mine was. It's NOT sharp. Mine had a round edge on it when it came and I assumed that that must be how it's supposed to be. I ended up buying a "deluxe" model shortly after since it was adjustable ($15) and saw that it was supposed to have an edge - imagine that. It wasn't long though before I realized it wasn't holding an edge for very long and I just couldn't control it that well because of the lack of spin on the yoke. That's when I upgraded to a Barry King.

Of all the blades out there, for the price you can't beat a Barry King. I use mine all the time and even bought some separate blades from him to fit Tandy barrels (for those tasks that don't happen frequently). The leather will make a difference though, as will proper casing. While you're looking for a knife, I'd stop by Leatherwranglers and check out Paul's sharpening videos - If you have a LOT of money burning a hole - grab one of his SK-3's. For your level though, I'd hold off on that and get a Barry King ;). The videos will show you how to keep it sharp though.

http://leatherwranglers.com/tips.html

Are you sharpening, or stropping the blade? That could be your problem, or part of it.

From my own experience:

1. Quality casing of your leather

2. Well sharpened/stropped blade

3. Quality of the knife

4. Quality of the leather

The first two factors I find make the biggest impact. Until you get 1 & 2 perfected, I would not go to 3 & 4. Just my own opinion, of course.

If you can only upgrade a bit. I would upgrade your blade. Barry King has Craftool fitting blades in any shape for $15 plus shipping. Can't beat that easy and inexpensive upgrade. $45 for a complete Barry King swivel knife and blade plus shipping can be a good upgrade.

Good luck.

Hey guys,

I strop the blade like a religion...sometimes a few times in the process of cutting out one larger sized design. Casing I think I'm getting pretty good at, but there are times where I just take one cut and say that's still too wet or dry....

Thanks for your input, and Kings, I completely agree about practice...I do so as much as I can...I think Springfield leather thinks all I buy are the bags of scrap :-)

Then yeah, I'd definitely start with either the upgraded blade for $15 or a whole new rig. Honestly, a year in, I'd say you can treat yourself to a whole BK swivel knife and get something that spins with ease and has a sharp blade that will stay sharp. I've had mine for almost 2 years now and just sharpened it a couple of weeks ago. Good steel will only require frequent stropping.

On any decent project, I usually strop at the beginning and at the end before I put it away. I use green rouge on a piece of leather. I get my rouge from Paul at Leather Wranglers.

A better blade than you get with Tandy's kit will help. I splurged a year ago on an SK3 from leather wranglers and it immediately made some difference.... better control for sure. And better leather than Tandy's often helps as well.... carving some of the horrible pieces they've sent me versus carving from nice veg tan from SLC I definitely see the difference. Nothing trumps practice for improving your work, but working with bad tools on bad materials certainly doesn't help to make the process any easier.

While I love my SK3 I'll be the first to admit it was an overkill purchase on my part. I imagine you'll find an upgrade to a BK blade to be completely worth it, though.

Simply said, get the best "tool" you can afford at the time. There will be plenty of times when you will "make do" with something less than you would like because there is just not enough money to go around. Every once and a while, you will spring for that "good-un" and you will never be sorry. Just my opinion.

Bob

I'm getting ready to spring on my SK-3 soon. Seems once a year I find a couple of really nice expensive tools that I really want and treat myself :)

If you are stuck using the tandy knife for while, pull the yoke off and put a dab of vaseline on the shaft and snap yoke back on

I pulled apart my yoke on my lot knife, shortened it to fit my small hands and gave it a polish, it spins like it has bearings now

I would suggest, if you can afford it. Get the whole setup from Barry King. If not get the blade, it will improve your work. With a good tool, a little confidence in your self, and practice, practice, practice. A sharp blade will do you wonders. I don't remember where it's at on here. There are a few links on stropping. If you haven't already been there. Good Luck