MrLentz

Wickett &craig Vs Springfield Top Grade Tooling Sides

Hello,

This question is for those who have worked with Springfield's "Top Grade Tooling Sides" and Wickett & Craigs tooling sides (Or Hermann Oak).

I am wondering if there is a visible difference in quality between the two? I will not be carving at all, just cutting shapes and sewing and riveting, so I am looking for a leather that will look great. I have been using Springfield's for a while and have been very happy with it. So - is it worth it to pay a few dollars more for the Wickett just based on the final look?

Thanks!

Edited by MrLentz

I really prefer W&C...it finishes very nicely...never had any issues with it...

Springfield's "Top Grade", or "Medium Grade" are imports. The true Top Grade at Springfield is clearly listed as "Hermann Oak B Grade", and there is a lower grade of Hermann Oak available that's labeled as "Hermann Oak Craftsman Grade".

I've never used W&C - but their reputation tells me it would likely be better than the imports.

I use both Hermann Oak B from Springfield, as well as some of their imports. I usually keep the imports to smaller lightweight stuff like pocket items. I've seen inconsistencies in them and a lot of times the back is pretty fleshy or the thickness is on both ends of the spectrum throughout the hide. The HO B grade is usually very consistent throughout with only a few tannery marks here and there within the field and a firm belly. I get quite a bit of yield out of them. But, I've also started buying some A grade from Sheridan Leather. There's a few less marks in it which helps on my strap production and it tools a little nicer than the B grade (non-applicable to you obviously). When it comes down to it, knowing that the imports are just that, I'll buy an American tannery's product first.