thayn61

Just Started Making Holsters Let Me Know

I just recently started making custom holsters because i could not find what i wanted from the store. let me know what you guys think i can improve on and any info would be great.

post-46991-0-17170600-1390510393_thumb.j

post-46991-0-82786800-1390510400_thumb.j

post-46991-0-47822900-1390510404_thumb.j

post-46991-0-16679100-1390510407_thumb.j

I cannot tell a lot from the pictures, . . . they're a bit dark, . . . but for the most part, . . . everything looks fairly nice for your first ones.

The only two things that kinda "jumped out" would be the suicide strap on the black one, . . . when you make those, . . . leave a tongue below the snap, . . . something to lift it with beside a fingernail. That one looked like you cut it real close to the snap.

On the brown one, . . . you were probably attempting to be "artistic" with the little bumb in the sewn edge below the trigger guard, . . . and down at the tip end of the barrel.

Those little cuts like that do lend an artistic flair to some things, . . . but to holsters, they will usually just become a frayed and raggedy piece of fluff leather a dingle dangling off the edge of the holster. Strive for more flowing and even lines, . . . avoid square corners worse than you would avoid a female skunk on PMS.

But, . . . you started out good.

May God bless,

Dwight

Nice start. If you are like a great deal of us here, you will learn from your mistakes and each new project will show improvement in ability and technique. Don't be discouraged if you screw up a few (I have more than I want to admit). Read many areas on this forum and you'll learn an immense amount from experienced leather craftsmen. Good luck with your new endeavor and keep us posted on your progress.

As Dwight said above....you started out good. Keep going.

Tim

Where did you get the little metal tab (on the thumb break) of the bottom holster? I have been trying to find some of those for sale but do not even know the name of it to be able to order them.

The safety strap on the black one is as said way to close to the snap and in my opinion way to big and long..if you have draw this one fast you are in trouble..your edges need a little work and your stitching is to close to the edge too.

on the brown one also the edges and the wet forming could be much deeper and detailed. Make always sure your trigger is well covered for safety reasons!

For a first try they came out realy nice...you will see, in a few month after a few more holsters you will be agreeing to all that has been said.

Keep it up and show us more work down the road!!

Greetings

GWturner, that one looks like it might be home made. If you are looking for some, The Blue gun store http://037287c.netsolstores.com/thumbstiffenersbreaks.aspx has black or stainless, High Desert leather also has black ones. http://www.highdesertleather.com/id74.html

Edited by camano ridge

Don't know what happened to the link above for the Blue Gun Store, however this one seems to work. http://037287c.netsolstores.com/thumbstiffenersbreaks.aspx

thanks for the responces. and yes the thumb break part is home made i made it from 14ga stainless i had laying around