CountryStyle

A Little Bit Of Reflection About This Site...

Since I really became interested in leatherwork about 2 to 3 years ago, I have spent more hours than I care to count rummaging through these forums. Each time I access this forum, I am more surprised and impressed by the wealth of knowledge available here, the willingness to help others (even if the topic has been covered several times, there are still usually those who are willing to re-explain it), the sense of community, and the appreciation for all types of leather artistry. I know that there are still many more topics I have yet to discover and benefit from, and that makes my future years of leatherworking all the more exciting.

This forum is a jewel, a rare gem on display for all to see and appreciate. I just hope others have the intuition to appreciate it as much as I (and most likely many others) for what it really is: an invaluable resource and place to make friends.

I am not nearly as active here as many, but I do like to chime in where I can. And although I don't "help" as much as others, I hope I have more time to spend here in the future. Even though I have a new job this year that requires more of my time, and I recently discovered that my wife and I are expecting our first child, I still plan on utilizing this thread and, as my experience grows, helping others with their questions. For I too was a wide eyed wanderer not too long ago (and in many ways still am) and know what it's like to wonder what the heck people are talking about when they say "casing" or "slicking the leather" like it is something EVERYONE should know about.

I do plan on contributing a donation at some point in the near future when I have the finances aligned right. It may not be as much as I would like, but I would like to show my appreciation.

For those of you who are new(ish) to this forum like I am, please don't see this as a place to just come solve a problem, for it is much more than that.

First, congats on the new addition you and your wife are expecting. Kids are a never ending source of enjoyment. Second, I have learned that you are never too old to learn a new trick or two. If you keep reading this forum, you will see that just when you think you have it all in hand, someone will show up with a new way. That's what is good about communicating with fellow leatherworker. As you said, invaluable resource.

Again, Congrats on the new little leather worker you are expecting.

Bob

You are spot on, CountryStyle! When I joined I scoured the whole site for hours looking at past posts and drinking in all I could. You never can learn enough here. This is the only forum I use for knowledge and leather working friends. Glad someone pointed this out! :notworthy:

Awwww... you're gonna make an old lady cry happy tears! There are lots of good people in Leatherland. I feel like I'm richly blessed to know so many of them.

Don't cry Johanna!

This place is very valuable. I don't post too much, but I always come back to read. :wave:

Amen to all of you. Although I have been working with leather for over 40 years, you really do never know it all as there is always something new coming around or an improvement. Which makes me wonder: If you really are always picking something new up in this art, how does one become that "Master Leather Craftsman" that we all see posted on so many websites? As I said, I have been working with leather for over 40 years, I received my first lessons from Al Stohlman, I continued to learn everything I could, I have been a saddle maker, I have made leather goods for Rodeo Cowboy's/Cowgirl's (and I even rode rough-stock for several years), I still do EVERYTHING by hand and refuse to give in to the "simpler life" when it comes to the trade. How am I still just an Artisan/Maker/Craftsman? Can anyone answer this question?

We all had to start somewhere and we will all end somewhere but hopefully not too soon because I still want to achieve that "Master Craftsman" status, if even truly exists. I always compare this trade to my other skilled trade (and this one has had several years of training, testing and hands-on experience) and this my licensed trade of being a Master Golf Club Fitter and Builder. I have spent years getting this education and the certifications to be a professional club maker and this is the real deal, yet I can't seem to find one single place that I can do the same thing to get my Master Craftsman title. Hmm.

Ideas?