Ken B

Larger Handwheel With Smaller Pulley, For Juki Lu-563 / Consew 226

Is it possible to swap the handwheel out for one with a larger diameter, and a smaller pulley? I've tried searching for such an item with no luck, which really surprises me.

I have upgraded to the Enduro Pro with a 50mm pulley, but it's still pretty fast for the small webbing items that I sew.

I have a 563 and use it for similar tasks, and yeah, going across 3/4" webbing doesn't take long LOL. Using a speed reducer is one way to really slow things down.... I make my own, but there are several folks who sell them here if you check around.

Mine looks like:251_21_cs_02.jpg

-DC

post-46726-0-65845300-1391571675_thumb.j

I found one of the huge heavy hand wheels from a Singer 29 at an industrial sewing machine dealer here in Atlanta for a friend to put on his 42-5 because somebody had changed it to a small wheel for some reason. No 42-5 wheels were available, so I did a bit of lathe work, and adapted the 29 wheel. Check with the dealers in your area. Some of them have a pretty good "junk pile" of old parts. The larger wheels were common on some of the more popular older machines. A friend with a lathe can make almost anything fit !!

I know a guy who custom makes motor pulleys. I think he can make hand wheels too. I was also thinking about a larger one for my Singer 111. I will contact him and ask if he is able to do that. It may take a while to get a response. But we live on the other side of the pond... :unsure:

We used to put these on 111W, LU-563 machines all the time; the heavier hand wheel really helps with starting torque, with that first needle penetration while the machine gets up to speed. Really shines with heavier work. Singer used to make these for similar models that will bolt on directly with no modifications.

I'll see if I have any, and report back here ASAP. I'll know by Monday either way.

Greg do you have a larger hand wheel than the factory installed on the PFAFF 1245?

Greg do you have a larger hand wheel than the factory installed on the PFAFF 1245?

The answer is yes, but I don't know what aftermarket handwheels, if any, will be compatable. I do know Pfaff has and sells them, but at what price from Pfaff. I'll be able to poke around and she what works. I can look into it, and I have some 1245s laying around here I can test this on and report back,

Again, at running speed, the handwheel, does not do a lot, but the heavier handwheel really shines when you start sewing without a running head start into heavy work. Night and day with heavier applications on these machines.

This is the one you want, if you can find it;

Singer part #237589, machine pulley is 4LBS, and the handwheel belt pully size is 4-1/4, making it also slower, with a tad more torque than a small pulley.

This works great on LU-563, 111W155, Consew 225, 226, 227, and many, many others.

On 2/11/2014 at 1:46 PM, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

This is the one you want, if you can find it;

Singer part #237589, machine pulley is 4LBS, and the handwheel belt pully size is 4-1/4, making it also slower, with a tad more torque than a small pulley.

This works great on LU-563, 111W155, Consew 225, 226, 227, and many, many others.

Really curious about this ... Has anyone done this ?

Heavier and larger pulley on this Handwheel ! I found a cross reference number for that pulley .# 241688 came up and maybe was on a Singer 51w52, 53,55,56,57 and a 57w model .. still need to do more research on how it bolts on or slides right on with set screws. Any info on subject would b e appreciated. Thank You

51 minutes ago, Metalhorseman said:

Any info on subject would b e appreciated.

Yes increasing the size of the existing hand-wheel pulley will decrease your rpm's at the hand-wheel but....

example.

existing hand-wheel pulley is 3 1/2 " (89mm) and the size of the motor pulley is 3"(75mm) the motor speed is set for a max speed of 500rpm then the hand-wheel pulley rpm will be 421.

i) changing the motor pulley to a 45mm and changing noting else the hand-wheel pulley rpm's drops to 252

ii) changing the hand-wheel pulley to 6" (152mm) with the new 45mm motor pulley will drop the hand-wheel pulley rpm's down to 148

But just to change the hand-wheel size alone from 3 1/2 to 6" without changing the motor pulley size the hand-wheel rpms drops to 246 which you can get by just changing the size of the motor pulley. To get a real change you would have change the hand-wheel pulley to something above 10" (254mm) and you that may cause other problems.

I think you would be much better off using a speed reducer pulley (6" large pulley coupled to a 2" small pulley) and changing the motor pulley to 45mm then the hand-wheel speed would drop to 74 with a lot less work.

If you already have a speed reducer then going to a 6" hand-wheel pulley would drop the hand-wheel rpm's down to 43.

How slow do you want to go and what set the lowest set point on your motor??

kgg

Hi kgg  

On my Seiko STH-8BLD-3,, stock hand wheel ,60mm pulley on Fesm 550,3450rpm servo. Dial for rpm set at 650 ,it has one more click to 350 , but motor doesn't work in that position. Any suggestions on how to make that work at lowest rpm? I ordered a 45mm pulley should be here next week. 

Did a dog collar, 3 layers of polyester webbing and noticed machine kinda struggling to get up and go ,that's when I started reading about heavier handwheel and larger pulley on the handwheel with smallest 45mm servo pulley.

Looked into speed reducer box but won't fit under table because of T-table cross brace is 6 3/4" below motor. Also liked box style for easy tilting back Head.But not in budget at the moment.  I just bought a Juki LU-562 with reverse and bought a servo, I think that has a 45mm pulley on motor and  to keep at girlfriends house for awhile to do some awning projects.

Thought the older handwheel trick with the built in larger diameter pulley would be a less expensive way of going now,found on web for $45 plus price of belt. I am very mechanical inclined and would like to try this on the Juki.

Also have talked to other member here about installing 6" sheave/Pulley on head to slow it down a bit. I think that would be slow enough. Someone mentioned more weight on upper pulley for better punching power thru thicker material also .

Please read what Gregg from Keystone was talking about . Sad he passed away .I had bought my Seiko from him.

Edited by Metalhorseman
Added more paragraphs

I fitted a rather large pulley to my Seiko, it meant I didn't need to mess around with a reducer, the pulley was in my spare pulley box and I just needed to make a sleeve for the shaft.

Seiko 7a.jpg

1 hour ago, Metalhorseman said:

Looked into speed reducer box but won't fit under table because of T-table cross brace is 6 3/4" below motor

You could re-drill the holes & move it down.