BullFrog

Thick Material Stitching

I'm new to leatherworking, having just done a couple simple projects at this point. I am working on my first stitching project with a speedy stitcher sewing awl. I am having trouble penetrating 2 layers of ~7oz veg tanned cowhide with it. I could get it through with quite some effort and a couple of small stab wounds, but I just broke the needle that came with it (which I believe is a #8) trying to push through again. I figure I am doing something wrong here. Any tips on technique? I've just been holding the leather in my hands and pushing the needle through. Thanks in advance!

You'll be money ahead to get rid of the speedy stitcher and get a sewing awl and some needles to sew with. Punch your hole with the awl then push your needles through the holes. Their are several movies on you tube showing how to hand sew.

Add to what dirtclod said, . . . make yourself (or purchase one) a stiching pony, . . .

Here's how to make one,..... http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials/_stitchpony.html

Check out you tube for "how to saddle stitch", . . . and put that other thing you have in a drawer somewhere.

May God bless,

Dwight

The problem you are having is caused by not making a hole with a sharp stitching awl first.

That speedy stitcher is only designed to penetrate cloth like material without a hole.

Not sure if it is kosher, but I lay out my pattern with a spacer and drill my holes first. Have to use a small bit, maybe a 3/32.

The are many ways to hand stitch, the worst is the speedy stitcher. As everyone else has said, loose the stitcher and sew with two needles.

Sorry but I've got to pile on, lift the stitcher lightly between your thumb and forefinger and release it over the trash can. Get an awl (learn to sharpen and strop it) or if that is something you don't want to pursue, the 2nd best option is a set of Diamond stitching punches and regardless of which then get some good harness needles, thread and away you go.

Hand stitching isn't difficult to do, it is somewhat difficult to master, but practice is a good way to proceed.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

rawcustom;

The problem with that is you are removing material by drilling which will weaken the leather.

Try and use an awl when ever you can.

Tree Reaper, I figured that view would come up. In my application of sewing a knife welt that is glued, stitched (and then I glue the stitching), I highly doubt there is a loss of strength in the joint. I also groove before stitching which again is removing material hence weaker, but will make my stitching last longer by shielding it from abrasive rubbing. Not disagreeing that an awl would be better, but depending on the application it may not be required.