wlg190861

Lining Belt With Suede

I like the looks of a belt when it is lined with suede but, the problem I am running into is how to get the edge right. I edge my belt first then dye, then glue lining on with contact cement, 1 oz suede, sew belt then trim suede. Now how do you get that rounded look to match the belt edge. My edger is new an it won't cut an edge on the suede. How do I get it to match the belt edge or do I just leave it alone after trimming, ?

the best edger n the world won't edge suede.I would glue and sew then trim as close as possible with the round knife angled inward slightly to reveal the nice finished burnished edge of the belt. Don't try to burnish it after- it will only "fuzz" up the suede.

personally I don't use suede- too much friction to put through the loops and it will wear down pretty quickly

pete

A number of SASS shooters like the suede or skin lined belt. I use either side of deerskin depending on the preferences of the buyer. Once the belt is cut, glued and sanded, I burnish as usual and attain the best edge I can get. I use Weldwood gel for this same reason. Applied lightly, the gel will not bleed through the hide as others will (I read about this somewhere). I make sure the edges will get very good contact. Put 'em together, roll with rolling pin, and trim but not as close as you can. Once you sew, it will further stabilize the skin/suede to cut. After stitching, I use a brand new blade on my roller cutter. With a lot of light and a lot of careful, you can get a very good trim/edge without further burnishing.

I have done them differently. I cut, sand, glue, (no burnishing yet) including the suede/skin. The next day (good and dry), I use a drum sander on the drill press to lightly sand the edge angled towards the back effectively trimming the suede/skin from the leather. Try to always have the drum sander pulling on the skin and not pushing it. Or, always have the drum sander sanding the side away from you and do not hold the belt horizontal. One hand high (right hand) the other low. That is difficult to explain.

Thank you

Dan :cowboy:

I sorta use Red Cent's technique, . . . but if suede is involved, . . . it goes on my belt sander, . . . suede up, . . . I then take a good sharp beveler to the veggie tan, . . . and the edges come out really nice and clean. My drum sander is an oscillating one, . . . and it don't like suede.

It can be burnished, . . . but it's kinda like riding a unicycle, . . . ya just gotta learn how, . . . and the only way is to practice.

Take some scraps, . . . glue em together, . . . treat it like a project, . . . and practice with it. I usually use an oversized slot for burnishing, . . . then hold the leather slightly crossways, . . . hard to explain, . . . but it works.

May God bless,

Dwight

This lined with suede. Now, this is the rough/flesh side of deerskin. What I call suede.

MtAfqqF.jpg

thEcNB9.jpg

You can burnish the suede/deerskin into the edge but it will turn dark brown just as the leather. Difficult to get a neat look and a neat edge. 'Course, I like the burnished wide brown looking edges on some things.

Is there such a thing as veg suede?? That should work on a veg tanned leather belt ??

1 hour ago, LJRoss said:

Is there such a thing as veg suede?? . . .

I don't think there is a veg tan suede

If regular suede won't do turn a piece of regular veg tan over and use the flesh side out-ways