RoosterShooter

Threading Singer 211G155... Is This Right? Pic Heavy

Here is the Singer 211G155 I picked up at the yard sale last week. I've never threaded a machine quite like this one.

Is this correct? It seems to be a little different than my 211G151. Thanks.

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

Take a look at this threading diagram.

Regards, Eric

post-33297-0-17927200-1397337732_thumb.j

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see a thread guide near the needle that is described in the manual.

Plus ... those pics / copies leave a lot to be desired. There is almost no visual reference due to the poor quality of the copy.

As for the copy that gottaknow posted .... I don't see an oil pad or a thread guide near the needle on my machine. Can you find it in the pic, and tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks.

Edited by RoosterShooter

This picture shows the thread guide in place of the thread lube pad. Either part can be found on 211's. The guide shown here uses the same mounting holds as the lube pad, and should also use the same holes I see in your machine. The guide down on the needle bar is a flat guide just above where the needles is held. The machine will work fine without it. There are several versions of these last few threading steps depending on the series of the 211 and the year.

Regards, Eric

post-33297-0-75357300-1397354352_thumb.j

I found the thread guide on the needle bar. Evidently someone, over the years, had adjusted it too close to the need bar, and it was sitting flush. A carefull pry with my precision flat-head screwdriver pulled it down slightly to expose the ring.

On another note .... what would be the easiest way to clean this old machine up? There is thread and oil debris everywhere, and I'm a meticulous individual when it comes to clean equipment. :spoton:

I would use compressed air, simply blowing the fuzz and stuff out where you can. The bottom of these machines is pretty wide open, so you can easily blow the crud out of the hook area. A small brush and some tweezers should suffice for everything else. Don't use degreaser anywhere inside the machine. If you want to wipe the outside of the casting off with some kind of cleaner, that's fine. Make sure to give it a good oiling, including a drop along side where the bobbin basket spins in the hook. Have fun!

Regards, Eric

On mine, that top piece with three holes in it is turned way down clockwise so that it is at about 90 deg with the ground and then the thread leaves the third hole parallel with the ground and gets a much better purchase in the top tension assembly before going down to the bottom wheel. those angles of departure keep thread in much more secure contact that in your picture