rdb

Open Thread

My Lord, that's SNOW! God bless you there! I take back my thoughts on missing it now that I'm in VA (moved here from PA).

Sweet tea, now that's a laugh. I recently took a job at The Daily Grind, a coffee shop in Blacksburg, just off VA Tech campus. I can always tell northerners like me if they call it ice tea. It's good, but I'm just as happy with my Lipton powder mix at home. At least I can call soda a soda and not get looked at funny, like when I was in western PA and they called it "pop". Now I just have to work on saying Appalachian properly..."a pah lah chan" rather than "a pah lay chan"

The coffee shop has taught me what a coffee idiot I am. Being a tea drinker, I had no idea that espresso was more than a drink unto itself (i.e. it's in lattes and cappucinos); and I'm sure I gave my "trainer" a deer in the headlights look when she tried to show me how to steam milk with the espresso machine. But I made a little "cheat sheet" and am getting along better now. I find I'm a visual learner - if I see it written, I'm more likely to remember it. Probably why I'm so awful with names when introduced!

But for me, the big "to do" on the leather front was yesterday: the Highlander Festival at Radford University. The weather was perfect (sunny and 70's), it was also parents' weekend, and there was an Appalachian Arts Festival on campus the same day. So LOTS of shoppers. And great music, and men in kilts, and wearing my own family's tartan (MacLaren). Plus, I made over 300.00 !! I know that's not alot to some of you, but to me that was a one day record. Best sellers were small items: wristbands and keyrings. But I also sold a few larger things. Next up is a choral booster benefit at a local school in 2 weeks. So I'll be busting my butt again...and Tandy is getting a big ol' order from me tomorrow!

Gee it was 86 here today. Did you say snow? What snow. Don't tell me it's headed our way. I've still got some horse back riding to do before I get ready for deer hunting.

With our temps it's hard to believe that summer is over and fall is here.

It was a gorgeous clear fall day in New England today. Did I...

A ) Go for a ride on my motorcycle?

B ) Go to my friend's birthday party?

C ) Work on some leather projects?

D ) None of the above?

If you chose D, you are correct! I did none of these things, because I spent half the day sick in bed and the other half sick in a chair. Yey.

Edited by tashabear

tasha i hope you get to feeling better real soon.

tasha i hope you get to feeling better real soon.

I actually do feel loads better than I did when I got up, thanks! I need to print out a few things for tomorrow and then I'm hitting the rack again.

What a great Sunday! Some of the finest t-shirt weather we've had all year. We went off to a local water-mill where there was a 'steam weekend' . . . wonderful to see steam ploughing, sawing and threshing, and Shire horses ploughing. Spent a pleasant morning there, and then off to the pub and met two of my daughters for a traditional roast beef and Yorkshire pudding dinner, followed by spotted dick and custard.

Really set me up for a busy week!

Horses2.jpg

Horses.jpg

Threshing.jpg

Plough.jpg

post-7199-1223945839_thumb.jpg

post-7199-1223945857_thumb.jpg

post-7199-1223945879_thumb.jpg

post-7199-1223945901_thumb.jpg

What a great Sunday! Some of the finest t-shirt weather we've had all year. We went off to a local water-mill where there was a 'steam weekend' . . . wonderful to see steam ploughing, sawing and threshing, and Shire horses ploughing. Spent a pleasant morning there, and then off to the pub and met two of my daughters for a traditional roast beef and Yorkshire pudding dinner, followed by spotted dick and custard.

Really set me up for a busy week!

There's nothing like a nice Spotted Dick is there? Reminds me of the Two Fat Ladies as they cooked some great stuff!

Tony.

There's nothing like a nice Spotted Dick is there? Reminds me of the Two Fat Ladies as they cooked some great stuff!

Tony.

Blackberry and apple crumble comes a close second, so we stopped off and picked some blackberries on the way home . . . something to look forward to next week!

Just planted up some bulbs in the garden ready for the spring and spent a few minutes of pleasurable pontification elsewhere on the forum. I have a bag and a belt to complete then next stop the pub; but home in time for a new weekly TV program about all the US states - effectively a guy travelling through each state commentating on what he finds. It should be fascinating!

Ray . . . You're English, the word is 'programme'. You are clearly being subverted by spending too much time on the forum! :oops:

Ray . . . You're English, the word is 'programme'. You are clearly being subverted by spending too much time on the forum! :oops:

I was only trying to show off how much I had learned...

In that case, you'd better take one of the 'l's out of 'travelling'! Two nations . . . :)