Wild Bill46

Sweat Problem With Wrist Cuffs

I have a few questions, _______ Please. _______________

1. I have a friend who is a Biker, and urgently needs supportive wrist cuffs, but, he sweats profusely,

and he says Leather and Sweat together stinks ! should I use Latigo ?

2. If I line a cuff for him, it seems, to he will have same problem ?

3. If I lace edges with thick lace would it stand off his wrist enough to alievieate problem ?

4. If I dye and seal inside of cuff what product would I use, that would work for a sweat problem ?

5. I have some ideas for biker art tooling, but will fiber displacement affect sweat faster, ?

6. Should I use many holes in cuff as a design element for air displacement ?

7. I know, I know Too many questions, I think I should I just shoot him dead and not have a problem ? aha

Thanks for any help you might contribute, ___________I appreciate all of you ! _ Wild Bill46

First off, you have hit on many of the right ideas. Having the cuff not too tight is primary. It should give support but not hinder movement or cause discomfort in any way. Ventilation holes are a great idea, and a nice design incorporating vent holes and domed studs would be a way to go. If you use rivet back studs you will want to line the cuff any way to cut down on hair pulls, so maybe a fine terry lining would work. If he sweats that profusely I would stay away from felt backing, it wont hold up. I was thinking even a suede lining might help, and double loop top and bottom would allow for some air flow under the cuff. Play with it, you will solve it. Eccho

I almost forgot one of the most important things. Make sure you have sealed the leather properly to minimize sweat absorption, two or three applications of Resolene should do the trick, Before you line. Try to keep the sweat out of the leather, it will lead to mold anyway, and he is right it smells bad..Treat both sides of the band but be sure the inside next to the skin is done well.

So, I JUST took off my very first cuff that I ever made myself because my own sweat has rotted the leather.

Here are some thins I learned after the fact.

1.) it clearly needed to be sealed on the inside to prevent sweat absorption. That would have kept it from both rotting the leather and darkening the color to an extreme.

2.) The salts in the sweat corroded and rusted several snaps. I replaced them a few times throughout the life of the cuff. Lining it OVER the snap where it contacts the skin is vital to protect the hardware and also cuts down on any irritation. That's especially important if the customer happens to have any nickel allergies.

The reason it's junk now is because it had taken up so much salt and sweat around the snap that the snap was corroded once again, but the leather around the snap hole was also shot making it so that no snap would ever sit in there securely again.

So, line that puppy with a thin lining leather. Then seal it with at least a few LIGHT coats of Resolene as Eccho said.

I would be very tempted to also punch about a bazillion 1/4 inch air holes in the cuff for circulation.

You can punch a whole big bunch of holes in the thing and not do any serious damage to the structural strength of the leather.

If I were making them for myself, . . . I would buy these and use this material for the lining:

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Heatgear-1-Pack-Coyote/dp/B004QB8MLI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1400205202&sr=8-11&keywords=moisture+wick+socks

You can seal the cuff (Resolene) completely by dipping it in a 50/50 mixture for about 10 seconds, . . . shake off the excess and hang up to dry. Do a second coat for kicks and giggles.

Then use contact cement to line it with the cut down sock material.

May God bless,

Dwight

Eccho, Cyberthrasher, Dwight

Thank you guys for you help, with my delima Sweating Cuffs

I'm thinking of using a thin 1.5oz - 2oz leather and terrycloth lining for air distribution, snapped to outter face, and removable,

laced edges,as Eccho also suggested, and holes as Dwight suggested and sealed as all of you have suggested

definitely will coat the whole band inside and out with 50-50 Resolene, several times over.

I certainly appreciate all of you, for your help !

.CST, I just might spray him down with Old Spice before we go riding next time !