David Bruce

New Osborne Crew Punch Cracked!

I just received a 1"151 Osborne oblong/crew/slot punch in the mail today. I used it for maybe 5 minutes and was punching some slots in 9oz Veg Tan and noticed that it had cracked on both sides where the welds are. Has anyone had this problem with new Osborne tools? I bought it from Springfield and am going to see if there is a warranty on it. It looks like I will have to buy the older tools from now on.

Had the very same thing happen to me. Was using a rawhide mallet and this thing just fell apart. I spoke direct with Osborne in New Jersey, the customer service department. They had me send it back and they replaced it. I think there was a few of these that got into the supply chain that were defective.

Steve

I was also using a mallet and with a cutting board. Springfield sent me a replacement but upon close inspection I could already see slight cracks where the welds had been grinded/polished. I decided to return it. Now I'm waiting for one of Weavers Master Punches to arrive.

I think you will really like the Weaver punch. Their tools are very nice!

Tom

I bought the same punch last month, it was very dull.

The punch from Weaver is exactly what I needed. It's cast vs. welded and very sharp. It is twice the price but it seems like the only option unless you can find older tools.