Jaymack

I'm Trying An Alternate To Tiger Thread

7 hours ago, Wicked Welts said:

Love those chukkas there Seeg and I agree, that Double Dong thread is awesome too! 

I don't suppose you wear a size 9, do you?  I made these as a surprise gift for a friend whom I visited just this last weekend.  Imagine my surprise discovering he is a size 10.  These boots are looking for a new home where they will be loved and worn.  

If these don't work for you, the offer is extended to anyone else.    The boots are free but you pay shipping.  

Front 1.jpg

5703fef042a61_Front1.thumb.jpg.2c2ace4dc

I wear a 9.5 or 10 depending on the shoe but that's a generous offer that someone should jump on!

On 5/24/2014 at 8:43 AM, Jaymack said:

I am just about out of my spool of Tiger thread. I have a source a couple hours away at $60+ a spool. I wasn't driving that direction, so I searched on Ebay. I bought spool from a Hong Kong supplier for $8 delivered.

I was very surprised when it arrived and I tried it for the first time. It is a braided thread just like Tigers. I will be using this thread from now on. I can't tell any difference between the 2.

In my opinion, If Tiger thread is a 10, then this stuff is a 9+.

I'm not able to copy the ebay link, but the description is "Black 240yd Flat Heavy Duty waxed thread for leather tent fabric hand sewing New"

What type of projects are you sewing with it. I just received a roll today and am a little concerned that it may be to thin for holsters which has become the larger bulk of my work. I have been using Maine thread at .040 which measures out to 1.0160 on my hand dandy chart so I thought 1mm thread would be fine which is how the ebay Chinese thread is listed but it feel more like my .035 stuff. I am looking to save a few bucks on thread and 7 bucks for 240m was hard to resist.  I tried the Tandy braided poly and like it very much and it looks sharp but even that is heavier than the Chinese thread.

So I am curious what people who are using the Chinese thread are using it for. I like the amount of wax, It stretches less than the tandy braided when using it which is confidence inspiring and in reality .... .035 is more than enough for holsters but would like to hear what people are doing with theirs. Next I will try some of the Twin Eagle.

Below is a few stitches I threw down today when I received it. The top is the Ebay Chinese Thread, the middle is maine .040 and the bottom is the tandy braided.

Edited to add: that is 6spi

chinese thread.jpg

Edited by Boriqua
more info

I found that the 1.0mm Chinese thread is more like 0.8mm.   That said, its not as nice as tiger but still quite good.  

Bill

1 hour ago, billybopp said:

I found that the 1.0mm Chinese thread is more like 0.8mm.   That said, its not as nice as tiger but still quite good.  

Bill

Yeah, that's a good point.  The Chinese 1mm does feel and look more like .8 mm.  Earlier I had said that there wasn't enough difference between all three to worry about it. but that it is a pretty big difference.  

The more I use the Double Eagle, the more I like it out of all three.  It's my go to thread now.  

Wanted to wait until I used the thread a bit more before I commented and I have since sewn 2 holsters with the Ebay thread and 3 with the twin eagle. Both are very nice smooth threads with a fine finish and very lightly waxed but the ebay thread is a good deal thinner in feeling than the twin eagle. The twin eagle is a great bargain. Cost about 30 bucks and I think I will have thread left to pass down to someone in my will!

In my estimation the ebay thread is better suited for watch straps, inlays and other things requiring a thinner fine thread but the twin eagle is better suited for holsters and knife sheaths. I posted a pic of the two .. the top is the Ebay thread

Chinese vs twin eagle.JPG

Saw this post for a US based supplier of Tiger Thread -- $30 for a full spool and free shipping.  That's a heck of a deal for Tiger thread.   Here's their Etsy site.  I'm sticking with Twin Eagle but thought I would pass that along to the Tiger crowd. 

well I wanted to report back in ... I am now three rolls deep or about $100+ invested in Twin eagle thread. Now make no mistake .. its a frigin bargain when compared to the cost of most other threads at some 900+ meters for $30 plus shipping. I spent years buying those little tiny rolls of waxed linen from tandy.

More importantly if you are a hand sewer by choice your sewing should be pleasurable. It may be the same for other brands of thread that I havent tried yet but there is a wonderful tactile quality to this thread and just handling it and working with it and the sound of it zipping through the holes and the silkiness of it is pleasurable to use.

Yea yea... I know no one ever talks to much about that touchy feely stuff but for the hand sewer who is going to spend a great many hours pulling and listening to the thread I think its important that you enjoy using it. Same as any other tool that makes you happy. If you are just rushing to the final product that is cool but that is not where I am at. I want to enjoy the process.

Then you get the added bonus of it just looks really good. I have thought countless times about a machine but like leather braiding there is something wonderful about hand stitching. I spent most of my life around loud machines .. its nice to just listen and feel your work. While I have cut a forest worth of lumber on a table saw there is still something awesome about using a nice hand saw.

Well maybe a bit heavy for a thread conversation but I am really having a ball with this stuff. I now have the Light brown, Dark Brown and black. I think a yellow is soon in my future. The wife .. bless her soul ... said just get all the colors and be done with it. I kinda scored in the wife department too.

stitch 1.JPG

Edited by Boriqua

Something to consider: http://www.lekoza.com/

Saw this last week...interesting.

Edit: And, I just found the thread about this down the scroll. Nevermind.

Edited by cradom