Hi all!

I have been searching around and I can't figure how to make those slit slots for cards!

post-37574-0-80094900-1403094581_thumb.j

It's actually similar to the 'KK Tutorial' in this forum, except each slot isn't folded into a pocket. You can do it with a ribbon of material folded accordion style behind the slots and glued in place behind each slot.

Hi Bob!

I see! Gluing it in place, won't it be a little insecure? Would rubber cement do the trick?

Rubber Cement doesn't provide a very permanent bond so it wouldn't work very well. Adhesives like Barge or Weldwood do provide a very permanent bond once they are dry and they will last. Generally they will last longer than stitching because (with Weldwood at least, that's what I use) the leather has to be torn apart to separate two bonded pieces, where the stitches can be cut/broken and unravel with effort. However, it is perfectly acceptable to stitch the pockets in if you like, it just depends on how you want the pockets to look. If you stitch them in place you are going to have a line of stitching visible above and below each slit in the example wallet you posted.

Bob are you talking about a 'pocket of leather folded behind the slits like KK shows in his wallet tutorial? Because I still don't understand, LOL. He didn't add any text to that area and I never quite knew what he was doing with the cc slots. Can you show the back of one of yours the next time you make one? Thanks, Cheryl

In the wallet example posted I think it would work a lot better with fabric pockets instead of leather. Leather would get pretty bulky unless you used something like pig splits or goat.

More often than not the "high end" fashion brands have linings made of nylon or similar man made material as they indeed are thinner than leather. And sometimes it is simpler than you might think, in the case of the picture you provided I'm pretty sure that its nothing more than three slits clicker cut in one layer of leather and no pockets behind. On you tube there is a video from how Ettinger make their high end wallets, I think that would interest you as their style is similar to LV's but it shows how the pockets you wonder about are made. Don't have the link now but search for "how it's made wallets Ettinger" and the video comes up.

Some of arthur porter's youtube videos show how he does pockets for bags with a zipper. I think it would basically be the same method just a smaller scale.

I've actually seen the punches listed on eBay for doing card pockets just like this. Never took the plunge to buy as they looked poorly made. What I do is use a round drive punch to make the two small holes on either side of the pocket, then cut between with a straight edge and your cutting instrument of choice. I find that the holes tend not to tear as a straight cut does.

When doing this style of slot here is what I do.

I made a slot cutter out of box cutter blades and spacers. Bolted them together. I lay the clicker on the leather and put it in my book press. Press it down. The two close mounted blades leave a thin strip of leather. I use a straight edge to align a punch and cut a round hole at the end of the slot, leaving a clean area for the cards to slide through.

This sample is just a quick example on a scrap. With a little time you can get perfect slots every time with this setup.

post-2349-0-10276600-1405138249_thumb.jp

post-2349-0-57749700-1405138283_thumb.jp

post-2349-0-16225000-1405139025_thumb.jp

I made a slot cutter out of box cutter blades and spacers. Bolted them together. I lay the clicker on the leather and put it in my book press. Press it down. The two close mounted blades leave a thin strip of leather. I use a straight edge to align a punch and cut a round hole at the end of the slot, leaving a clean area for the cards to slide through.

This sample is just a quick example on a scrap. With a little time you can get perfect slots every time with this setup.

Dude that's a great idea!

That is a really REALLY slick idea, electrathon! I love seeing folks get creative with making tools!

Bill

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

Attached Thumbnails

Awesome idea, but my question is how do you do the lining in it to keep cards seperated?

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

Awesome idea, but my question is how do you do the lining in it to keep cards seperated?

I use Weldwood contact cement and once applied properly, fabric or another piece of leather is stuck. You need to make sure the flesh side is smooth, though, without a lot of fuzz. Once cured, pulling the pieces apart, more often than not, will tear either the fabric or the leather. It's often a bond that's stronger than the material you're gluing together.

There are probably plenty of ways to lay out the fabric lining and taking apart commercial wallets will give you some ideas. I make taco shell like pieces and glue them in place for each pocket. You glue one side above and one below the slot and it hangs down. I glue the 'back' of the pocket first - this is the piece that glues above the cut. After this cures I glue the 'front' of the pocket - this is the piece that glues below the cut and glues on top of the 'back' piece on the slot below it. I do it this way because a cheap Chinese wallet I once bought was assembled in a similar manner.

Make sure you use a fabric not prone to fraying. Suit lining material can be found that's really classy looking and I also use sari's that my wife donated to my hobby. She wears these in weddings and never wears them again. This is enough fabric to make thousands of wallet liners I'm sure.

Silk lining

JoeSnuffle ... You'd best go back 'n edit that last post to say "Dozens" rather than "Thousands" before your wife gets eyes on it. Else we may NEVER hear from you again! :o

Bill

She actually came to my man room and handed them to me. Honest! I swear they were freely given. Each one is about 15 feet long so there is a lot to work with.